Critical focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Critical focus

Just wondering if anyone could inform me of how difficult it is to achieve the aforementioned. Is the lcd screen on the EX1 sufficient enough to get the job done, or is an hd field monitor a requisite investment? What about focus-assist, how well does it work? Any info appreciated.
Spencer Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #2
Trustee

Spencer,
You are going to be surprised on the Focus assist available with the EX1.
The peaking is just like the JVC HD100 series, but better. It works VERY WELL. We were using just that and when we thought we nailed focus, we looked over at the 24" monitor hooked up via SDI and it was perfect.

The "expanded Focus" also work well.

The person I was working testing the cam with mentioned he wish RED would have the peaking focus that's on the EX1. He wants to buy an EX1 to cut with his RED.

This camera ie REAL easy to nail focus.
The LCD is the best I've used on these cams.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sweet...so in other words, one may be able to shoot tack-sharp images without a $5000+ field monitor? (That would be a relief).
Spencer Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Is there a secret to getting peaking to work well?

I keep pushing the button because I can't tell if it's on or not. I have tried each of the 3 levels. I seem to get the best results if I have it set on high, and play with the iris.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Tourist

Clark,

Have you changed the color in the menus? I find BLUE to be the easiest to work with.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Blue is the color that works best for me, too. I don't usually have a problem seeing the indicators when they are on. I just can't seem to get them to join the game.

Most of my experience has been indoors, under fairly low light levels. Maybe the depth of field is just too shallow and the peaking function can't find the edges. I'll keep trying.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Major Player

I actually use red - as I shoot outdoors a lot it is easier to see if you have lots of blue sky (I live in Australia and we have no shortage of blue sky). Peaking also seems a bit more obvious is you use medium setting - but that's a personal thing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds