Expresscard to USB adapters and registration? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 4th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Expresscard to USB adapters and registration?

Just rec'd our 1st EX1 -- SN 371 -- and wonder if anyone has found a working alternative to Sony's adapter to ingest into a non-expresscard slot notebook? I saw someone reference a SIIG card in an earlier thread, but that is not a PCI-based card.

Also, is there an active procedure for registering the EX1 in order to receive the 2nd 8GB SxS card? Just ordered x2 16GBs, but a free card...!

We also own a PDW-F350, and will post here once we're able to make some tests and comparisons.

Keith
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Keith, I can not answer the first question but the link to the survey will be here
http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...xSsurvey.shtml

but still says coming soon!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Jason -- interestingly, on the supplied CD-ROM there is a link to register. Sony requires the 1st three letters of the product (in this case PMW) -- which does not exist as an option! Even my authorized dealer is confused by Sony, reiterating what others have mentioned -- that Sony is keeping a very tight hand on the entire sales process. He will find out the deal about the 2nd 8G SxS, and when he does I'll post here should no other word be out.

After more exploring, I cannot find any expresscard/34 to USB adapter that is PCI-based -- anyone?
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, Sony's web sites and sales info timelines are sometimes very cryptic. Keith it sounds like you actually have an EX1 in hand. I would love to meet up with you sometime after the holiday and of course I5 opening again to check out the camera first hand and talk some shop. I am going to buy one by the end of January but would love to see one in person before I make my final plunge... Shoot me an email if it is a possibility.

Jason
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yep -- our dealer just got their 1st 25 in, and I was 1st on the list. Hoping to move workflow for little camera stuff to the EX1's, but since we're Avid-based this is so far a huge PIA. Give me a shout if you're in the area and want to stop by, or I can put you in touch w/ my dealer offlist if you like.
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Major Player

any thoughts on this?

http://sewelldirect.com/SIIG-USB-to-...rd-Adapter.asp

I'm looking for a "right now" solution for cards to macpro rather than cable
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Trustee

Christopher,
It will not work.

The tip that tells you is that it is not a "PCI-EXpress based piece of equipment".

The reader needs to be PCI-EXpress based.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #8
Major Player

bummer..... thanks

also... i know this may be a stretch but....

could the airport extreme with it's airport disk function work with the EX1?

"The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) supports USB storage devices that have a block size of 512 bytes, and are formatted as Mac OS Extended (HFS-plus), FAT16, or FAT32. Not all USB storage devices use a block size of 512 bytes.

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) shares storage devices based on the format used to initialize the storage device. For example, if HFS-plus formatting was used, AFP and SMB/CIFS protocols are used to share the device on the network. If FAT16 or FAT32 was used, SMB/CIFS protocols are used.

The AirPort Extreme (802.11n) works with disks that have a single partition and are not software RAID volumes (no more than one volume per physical disk). If the disk is a self-contained RAID that presents itself to a computer as a single volume requiring no software support, then it is supported."

and belkin makes this... http://www.belkin.com/networkusbhub/

the cam shows up as a disk on the desktop when the usb cable is attached....

just wondering....

Last edited by Christopher Witz; December 7th, 2007 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added specs of airport disk sharing
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds