sample: unreasonably shakey footage with rolling shutter distortion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 6th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Ali, that's great of you, thanks

Won't be mounting it on a helicopter any time soon :)

Have you tried just normal shaky handholding, something more useful, running with the camera, documentary style?

I think the camera is fantastic in general, but i like to know when it won't work first...

paul
i put up some footage like that and documented it here:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=109613

it's probably a bit more shakey than someone would normally shoot though (and the shutter speed is higher).
Ali Husain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Leith View Post
Wow, Ali... I think you need to cut back on the caffeine! Your hands are shaking! ;-D

Serious question, though... If you use a slower shutter speed (or shutter off) does it mask these distortions by motion blurring them away?
yes, the slower shutter speed helps a bit.
Ali Husain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Husain View Post
i put up some footage like that and documented it here:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=109613

it's probably a bit more shakey than someone would normally shoot though (and the shutter speed is higher).
Ali, that's so kind of you, a real help

It's pretty good, i can still see the effect but it's acceptable which is all i needed to know. I see this artifact as being one of the major differences between this and the other XDCAMs (which i believe are all CCD based)

I know i've been going on about the shutter but it's only because i know i'll have some very specific requirements next year (which i don't think it will cope with) but on the other hand what you get for the cost will deal with 95% of what i need.

thanks again
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Shake your booty, but dampen it Please!

This is a very interesting thread in terms of seeing just how well the camera can deal with extreme movement, however unless you were going for that kind of look explicitly (and perhaps the "nervous hands" look might be better done in post anyway ;-) I would think that you'd have the camera on something like a SteadiCam (Jr.) or one of those backpack-with-hanging-bungee-cord type rigs (I forget the name of the one I've got) to try to dampen the shakes due to running or not enough coffee/drugs in the morning.

Sure, if you screw the camera to the side of a helicopter rotor blade and then notice that the footage isn't pristine, that's not really the fault of the camera, you've just exceeded it's operational envelope just a tad ;-)

Thanks for all the clips though, it is good to understand the limits of the camera (and any gear that you may be using).

mike
Old January 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #20
Major Player

Pretty good for shaking, but the back of the goat is blown out.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Knowing the limits of CMOS chips, and knowing that the shaking is intentional, a production team would think the process through and consider doing the shaking in post.

Two advantages: avoid the rolling shutter artifacts. And make the shaking controllable. You can adjust the shaking in post to get the desired effect. But if you do the shaking in-camera, even with a CCD camera, you're stuck with it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds