Alternate Battery Ideas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Alternate Battery Ideas

Since there does not seem to be any indication when we'll get batteries for the EX1, and I need to do some shooting on location with the camera, I was thinking of coming up with a stopgap, perhaps using a rental block or belt.

Has anyone seen or made a 4-pin adapter that might work with the yellow coaxial connector on the back of the EX1?

Any other ideas for getting a little more battery life out of this while we wait for our BP-U60's?
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Would this work?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...er_Camera.html

I have an A/B adapter on my XLH1 and can run all day on a Dionic 90

Vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Major Player

The EX1 is a 12V camera, so that pack won't work.

But I was poking around my stuff and found that the adapter for my DSR-11 DV-CAM deck seems to power the EX1 well (it's the AC-SU1) and had the same yellow connector on it. It's rated at 12V/19W and the EX1 at 12V/13W (with the LCD off), so I think it has enough power. And while not a battery, it's at least a little more compact, more rugged and more practical as a location power adapter - the cords run in-line, in one end and out the other.

Try at your own risk, of course.

I don't want to resort to buying another one of those and snipping off the connector, and soldering a 4-pin xlr on the other end, but I might have to.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #4

Has anyone identified a source for the male power connector to the EX1? It looks like a PP90, but, not quite. I'd really like to connect my 12v IDX battery brick to the yellow power input on my EX1. The IDX supplies 12v thru the D-Tap connector.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Has anyone identified a source for the male power connector to the EX1? It looks like a PP90, but, not quite. I'd really like to connect my 12v IDX battery brick to the yellow power input on my EX1. The IDX supplies 12v thru the D-Tap connector.
Bob said he was ordering a batch and would sell some. I put my name down but have heard no more. Any clean 12 v should work and if you want to be safe you can use the Sony adapter running from a 12v battery via a Belkin anywhere or carry the heavier Husky/Xantac power packs. Heavy but would last maybe several days.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #6

Thanx, Mike. A new Sony battery charger(with the right connector) costs $113 US. Pretty steep for a connector.
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Thanx, Mike. A new Sony battery charger(with the right connector) costs $113 US. Pretty steep for a connector.
Why a new one, Bill? I use the one that came with the camera. The Xantac power packs cost $80 and I was wrong about needing the Belking because the power pack has the 12dv to 120ac internal. A complete power source for several days for 80 bucks. Get the wife to carry it.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #8

LOL...I was kidding. To think I might buy a replacement charger just to get the 12v power connector.
PS...I'm NOT married....thank goodness.
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #9
Major Player

We already talked about this kind of things.
I blogged about it here : http://www.lecentre.net/blog/archives/242

My solution was to remove the cable from the charger, and use XLR4 plugs...
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds