First impressions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Major Player

First impressions?

Hi all
Now that the first EX1s are out in the wild, could anyone enlighten me in the following aspects?

I'm going to be shooting a lot of short scripted work, dramatic mainly, but also with a fair amount of green screening, which I hope to do tethered to an Apple cart. So SDI is probably in my future, in one form or another.

I tend to specialize in sci fi, love stories (beauty shots, aka low DOF), and the odd doco style shoot (but shot film discipline, not pray and spray - I have other cameras for that if necessary).

Tapeless don't phase me one way or another (not after 400ft 35mm loads) and I know about archiving issues too (and we have HP LTO3 units at work).

I usually apply a ton of post filtering to get the video-ness out of a drama shoot, and nearly always shoot with a 35mm DOF box and Nikon fast primes when I'm doing this kind of work. Of course on reality style stuff it's usually straight video with a wide angle adaptor, usually.

So - JVC, Canon A1, Pana HVX or Sony EX1 for this, d'you think?

Yeah, I know. Red. Wavelets. Seen it, love it.

But I'm talking about an approx $5-7k (i.e. mid range) camera to own for now and get stuff in the can. I don't particularly want to line up for Red rentals, and I'm one step away from being able to afford one for my own amusement. Say a year or so away. However, a Red is definitely in my future after that.

So what would your recommendation be to get me from here (HDV) to there?

Cheers
Chris
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Major Player

I would recommend the Sony PMW-EX1.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Chris,
The EX1 would be an excellent choice, but if that's stretching your budget, you might consider the Sony HVR-V1U. It has 24p and 30p, as well as HDMI output. Even though the HDV output is 4:2:0, the internal color encoding is 4:2:2. I think 4:2:2 is what would be coming out of the HDMI port.
Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds