DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   SxS memory concerns...... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/109895-sxs-memory-concerns.html)

Steven Thomas December 10th, 2007 09:04 AM

SxS memory concerns......

I'm "on the fence" trying to decide if I should give in and buy the 16GB card, or wait and see if the firmware upgrade becomes a reality.
$900.00 is a lot of coin.
The problem is -who knows how long we'll have to wait.
Any thoughts?..

David Heath December 10th, 2007 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 790113)
Any thoughts?..

A direct question to Sony?

Eric Pascarelli December 10th, 2007 09:14 AM

I took the plunge for two. Ridiculous pricing.

I had the same quandary but decided to go for it because I needed to do some shooting. The way I see it, the cards will be a near necessity for slo-mo work and will give very good offload speeds.

Also, for a rental package (I intend to occasionally rent out my camera as I did with my HVX) I feel it will be necessary to supply top of the line cards because a renter may be less tolerant of idiosyncrasies than I am.

I don't expect to pay $875 for cards in the future - either I'll wait for the firmware upgrade or wait for Sandisk to sell them at (I hope) at least a slight discount.

Steve Mullen December 10th, 2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli (Post 790121)
Also, for a rental package (I intend to occasionally rent out my camera as I did with my HVX) I feel it will be necessary to supply top of the line cards because a renter may be less tolerant of idiosyncrasies than I am.

Curious how you protect yourself from theft, immediate damage, or damage not immediately apparent.

Eric Pascarelli December 10th, 2007 09:58 AM

I rent to producers/directors/dp's I know and ask for production insurance.

But many people in LA do rent their HVX's etc. to strangers on Craigslist. There is a certain honor among filmmakers I think!

Tuomas Sebastien December 10th, 2007 10:15 AM

I solved the problem by deciding that two 8 gigs are enough for me. With price of two additional 16 gig cards i bought a macbook with small external usb powered hard disk. So now i can empty filled cards to macbook while shooting and create a backup immediately to external disk.

If and when the firmware comes out i might consider buying additional cards.. but the fact is that price of flash memory has been and still is dropping fast. Same time the speeds get higher. When sony and sandisk release 32gig cards the price of smaller cards will certainly drop and some third party will be already releasing 64gig cards with lower speeds.

So i wouldn't invest on any more cards than is absolutely needed at any given time. My guess is that resale value of 8 gig cards that come with EX is next to nothing about year from now.