SxS memory concerns...... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 10th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Trustee

SxS memory concerns......

I'm "on the fence" trying to decide if I should give in and buy the 16GB card, or wait and see if the firmware upgrade becomes a reality.
$900.00 is a lot of coin.
The problem is -who knows how long we'll have to wait.
Any thoughts?..
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Any thoughts?..
A direct question to Sony?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

I took the plunge for two. Ridiculous pricing.

I had the same quandary but decided to go for it because I needed to do some shooting. The way I see it, the cards will be a near necessity for slo-mo work and will give very good offload speeds.

Also, for a rental package (I intend to occasionally rent out my camera as I did with my HVX) I feel it will be necessary to supply top of the line cards because a renter may be less tolerant of idiosyncrasies than I am.

I don't expect to pay $875 for cards in the future - either I'll wait for the firmware upgrade or wait for Sandisk to sell them at (I hope) at least a slight discount.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
Also, for a rental package (I intend to occasionally rent out my camera as I did with my HVX) I feel it will be necessary to supply top of the line cards because a renter may be less tolerant of idiosyncrasies than I am.
Curious how you protect yourself from theft, immediate damage, or damage not immediately apparent.
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #5
Major Player

I rent to producers/directors/dp's I know and ask for production insurance.

But many people in LA do rent their HVX's etc. to strangers on Craigslist. There is a certain honor among filmmakers I think!
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I solved the problem by deciding that two 8 gigs are enough for me. With price of two additional 16 gig cards i bought a macbook with small external usb powered hard disk. So now i can empty filled cards to macbook while shooting and create a backup immediately to external disk.

If and when the firmware comes out i might consider buying additional cards.. but the fact is that price of flash memory has been and still is dropping fast. Same time the speeds get higher. When sony and sandisk release 32gig cards the price of smaller cards will certainly drop and some third party will be already releasing 64gig cards with lower speeds.

So i wouldn't invest on any more cards than is absolutely needed at any given time. My guess is that resale value of 8 gig cards that come with EX is next to nothing about year from now.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds