ExpressCard-to-PCMCIA adapter: does it exist? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks Brent. I think it's my fate to Never Quite Know. To get close, but to NQK.
But I will pursue this question, regardless. Maybe I'll email Sony.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Am I right in thinking that the Sony Clip Transfer software won't work on a non-Intel mac?In other words, even with this ExpressCard->PCMCIA adapter (that solves my hardware issue), the transfer from SXS card to powerbook won't work, because my powerbook isn't Intel-based. Is this the case?
Malcom, reading sometimes really helps ;-)
The Sony Transfer Software is Universal Binary, so it runs on PPC and Intel Macs.

The important point with all these ExpressCard to PMCIA Card adapters is that they only work with USB based Expresscards which I do not know as far as the SxS Cards for the EX1 are concerned. That you have to ask Sony. It all is an interfacing problem. If the SxS Cards are not USB based you will have to buy a MBP.

Hope this helps
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
It all is an interfacing problem. If the SxS Cards are not USB based you will have to buy a MBP.
Hope this helps
Thanks Peter... that does help, a lot. I will email Sony to ask if their SXS cards are USB based, and then I'll know. I really appreciate this.
(when I find out, I'll re-post; until then I'll give all of you who've been helping me a much-needed break).
Cheers,
Malcolm
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #19
Major Player

Malcom,
to make sure what information you require, mail them the following links as well:

Web page of US supplier of ExpressCard > PCMCIA Card Cradle:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16839328009

Web page of manufacturer of ExpressCard > PCMCIA Card Cradle:
www.syba.com/Product/Info/Id/321

Difference between PCI and USB ExpressCards per definition by the ExpressCard Committee: www.expresscard.org/web/site/about.jsp
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanks again, Peter. I'll include all this information, and re-post here when I hear from them. I appreciate your patience.
Malcolm
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #21
New Boot

DuelAdapter Cradle doesn't work

"The DuelAdapter Cradle™ was designed to work with ExpressCards that use a standard USB 2.0 interface. ExpressCards that have a PCI Express interface (ie. Gig Ethernet, SATA , Firewire, etc.) are not supported. " - from Duel Systems website.

BUT...

"The SxS cards are PCI Express™ solid-state storage media and features about twice as fast data transfer speeds as legacy PC Card interfaces. By connecting directly to computer systems through a high-speed PCI-Express™ bus and with optimized technology protocols for controlling communication between hardware and card, SxS PRO™ achieves rapid data transfer rates of 800 Mbps." - from Sony's website.

I guess we're just going to have to keep looking.
Brian Hoodenpyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds