Anyone noticing a significant battery drain when not using the camera? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 17th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
The batteries do come with a detailed set of instructions. ...... thanks to something Serena mentioned here that caused me to read the instructions.
Ah, so that's where I read that! So of course the thing is to leave the fully charged-but-not-to-be-immediately-used battery in the camera until it discharges to 90%. Actually quite useful because otherwise I'll have to construct a device to do the job.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #32
Tourist

I just left my battery (the 30) in overnight and the button on the battery itself says it's on E but if I hit the battery info button on the camera, it says there's 60 minutes of charge left on it. (last night it was at 70 minutes)

In my case, it seems like the battery charge indicator and the camera's read of the status are different.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #33
New Boot

Sony is looking into it

My supplier tells me that Sony has been made aware of the problem and is running some tests. They say they will make an announcement if they can fix it with a firmware update.....

stay tuned.....
Luke Oneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #34
New Boot

Sony, are you listening? PMW-EX1 excess battery drain

Hey Sony - if you're listening - you need to step up and give your PMW-EX1 customers a response on this issue.

My new PMW-EX1 does exactly the same thing. If I leave the fully charged battery on the cam at night, and turn the cam off, the battery is dead in the morning. At first I thought I was leaving the camera power switch on the "media" setting by mistake (that fiddly hard to use power switch is terrible) but it looks like we all have the same problem.
John Maler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #35
New Boot

Ditto

Battery dies very fast (-U30); at first thought it was my keeping it in too cool room temperature when not in use. Began to store in insulated bag, not in camera - performed better. Glad to see I'm not alone, although unhappy others suffer, too... probably means a good fix is not soon coming, at least not just a new battery.

I never had this problem with PD-150, or GL-1 either, or JVC or Sony small DV cams, but different type batteries. Maybe the storing of settings causes drain? Maybe the battery fuel gauge is eating all the power! When dead, camera will not go on, and must recharge. Aggravation.

How can one keep settings desired for recurring shoots if batteries must be removed allways to protect power storage? Wish the EX had mem-stick slot to write settings to when camera is powered down. Just got mine, not familiar enough; maybe there is a good way someone knows?

I agree Power switch is too delicate - worst of any camera I've used, even little consumer cams. Ditto the roller-style menu selection wheel; always pressing to select, not rolling to new menu place under finger. It may "loosen up" with more use. I like the handgrip jogstick much better.

goodbye
Zan Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #36
Trustee

Between the fiddly power switch and the battery drain I have a simple solution. Take the battery off the camera before putting it away.

As far as I know no settings are lost when the battery is removed. If that was a problem then we'd have the same problem when changing batteries. In the end I'm in one way glad I'm now forced to remove the battery as standard operating procedure. We've had a Z1 fried and another very nearly fried because they were put into their Pelican case powered up. Always removing the battery eliminates this possibility.

Again I would point users to the instructions for the batteries themselves. Sony does not recommend storing charged batteries. The camera provides a way to discharge the batteries gracefully.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #37
Regular Crew

How can one keep settings desired for recurring shoots if batteries must be removed allways to protect power storage? Wish the EX had mem-stick slot to write settings to when camera is powered down. Just got mine, not familiar enough; maybe there is a good way someone knows?

You can store the camera PP settings on the SxS card.
Todd Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Moore View Post
Todd, there is a separate battery that goes underneath the camera and this is what powers the memory for the camera setttings.
Keith Malone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds