is EX1 hard to use handheld? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #31
Inner Circle

I have now used my new Zacuto shoulder brace system and it is the best system I have ever used. And in the last two years I have been through 12 systems with 7 of those ones I have built.

The first thing that impressed me when I opened the box was the quality of the machining. Then I was impressed on how stiff the system is when fully together. It is the stiffest shoulder brace I have ever used.

When putting a system together they have recommendations but I built a system with them from scratch since I have a unique problem of gyros. Also I have it set up to carry my shotgun mic, two wireless mics, and now have room for a light.

I have added the DVtec spring pod to the front of the system when I use both gyros.

If you are looking for a shoulder brace that you can balance and carry everything you need for a 10 hr shoot days in a row this is the one. I am not working for them and paid full retail (-5% by asking) and feel it is one of the best purchases I have made to make my job easier. But like a great camera it is not cheap in my opinion worth every penny. Beware they added a storm case and case foam custom cut which I did not ask for when ordering. I caught this on the quote and had them removed.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Many UK dealers offer a simple shoulder support along with the EX1 (one is even giving one free with every EX1 order); does anyone who has bought their EX1 in the UK use it? Is it any good at all?

Here is the link:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...oulder_mount-1

and a picture:
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM   #33
Trustee

it doesn't counterbalance so it won't solve the front heavy aspect, but it looks like it would be better than nothing!
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:34 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Many UK dealers offer a simple shoulder support along with the EX1 (one is even giving one free with every EX1 order); does anyone who has bought their EX1 in the UK use it? Is it any good at all?
Piotr,

I have tried that support and found it was surprisingly good. You can actually release the camera with both hands and it stays wedged on your shoulder and chest.

It may cause a problem with breathing moving the shot because of the support on the chest but it is very effective in so far as it takes the whole weight of the camera and seemed very comfortable to me.

HOWEVER, I didn't like the lack of a quick release. I couldn't see how it would pack and unpack fast enough. You could probably add a separate plate to it though.

Compared to some far more expensive attempts I've tried, this was by far the most comfortable.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
Piotr,

I have tried that support and found it was surprisingly good. You can actually release the camera with both hands and it stays wedged on your shoulder and chest.

It may cause a problem with breathing moving the shot because of the support on the chest but it is very effective in so far as it takes the whole weight of the camera and seemed very comfortable to me.

HOWEVER, I didn't like the lack of a quick release. I couldn't see how it would pack and unpack fast enough. You could probably add a separate plate to it though.

Compared to some far more expensive attempts I've tried, this was by far the most comfortable.
What he said! (I too have this support).
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Thanks Mike for your feedback - I'm awaiting a shipment containing it, so now I will have quite an array of supporting device (apart from the regular tripod):

- the shoulder mount in question
- the PAG Orbitor support I commented on earlier
- the Manfrotto monopod with panning bottom and tilitin upper heads

I guess each has its strengths and weaknesses; I'll report on their actual practicality.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Anton Bauer EZGripz

I got one of these after seeing it at NAB:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Support.html

Inexpensive and totally rocks. The handholds are bendable and the right side rests against your arm while you hold the camera grip.
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Here is another well thought out design at a nice price.
I like the option for adding/holding things like batteries, drives or a light
off to the side of the camera.
http://www.vortexmedia.com/EX1DVD/VSB1.html

Last edited by Brian Jansen; February 4th, 2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: I tried to upload photo but seem to lockup -heres link
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post

Here is the link:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...oulder_mount-1

and a picture:
OK, so I got the support from my UK supplier (won't tell you how long I had to wait for this GBP 20 worth of "equipment"), and am testing it encouraged by some people, including even Philip Bloom:)

One thing I don't know (it came without any printed instructions): there is an additional bracket with the accessory shoe on it; how do you fix it? Any link to a picture of this shoulder support fully assembled?
Old February 19th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #40
Trustee

you can buy it on ebay for £20. It works well. Go to my blog for a review and of others.

The hot shoe and other bits are for other cameras and are of new use for ex1 users.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Shoulder-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
The hot shoe and other bits are for other cameras and are of new use for ex1 users.
Thanks Phil - so I thought.
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
you can buy it on ebay for £20. It works well. Go to my blog for a review and of others.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Shoulder-S...QQcmdZViewItem
Any link in US dollars?

Edit:

OK I found it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDS-FREE-VIDEO...QQcmdZViewItem
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM   #43
Major Player

That ebay auction expired. Here is the current link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDS-FREE-VIDEO...QQcmdZViewItem

I just ordered one.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds