DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   is EX1 hard to use handheld? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/110877-ex1-hard-use-handheld.html)

Malcolm Hamilton December 24th, 2007 09:29 AM

is EX1 hard to use handheld?

Hi there,
On another thread, someone said “On top of that, the EX is incredibly awkward to use handheld”
Are others in agreement on this?
I've only held an EX1 in a store, for a few seconds. It seemed a bit heavier than the Z1 I've been using... is that the only negative, or are there other issues?
Thanks,
Malcolm

Steven Thomas December 24th, 2007 09:46 AM

It is at first, but you get use to it.

There are other options, like buying a shoulder brace, or a vest based system.
Personally, I find all handheld cameras a pain. Some are just a bit easier to deal with over another.

Michael Galvan December 24th, 2007 09:49 AM

I agree ... I find the camera quite awkward and unbalanced handheld, but I feel I'll eventually adapt to it whether I like it or nt ... lol.

Chuck Wall December 24th, 2007 11:00 AM

I have found the camera to be more difficult to hold at eye level, shape of grip offers no help, but when rotated to a clockwise position placing the grip pointing upwards, holding is better and you can "hang on" with one hand.

I plan to get the dvrigpro hd as an additonal support.

Chuck

Craig Seeman December 24th, 2007 02:34 PM

Is the EX1 more of a challenge to hand hold? Yup. I love the freedom of hand hold over shoulder mount. I'm finding if you put the grip at position that's good for you and really put your thumb of the grip hand in that groove for it, the ball of the hand can handle the weight (for me). While I wouldn't run around with it one handed, I can execute hand held moves with it without a problem.

Ideally I'd help it with the thumb of my other hand, allowing me to use the index finger to twiddle the various rings as needed. Tricky but you can learn it.

John Hess December 24th, 2007 06:05 PM

This one of the two really big let downs in this otherwise stellar camera (the other being the funky white balance). The camera is very hard to hold with one hand - two hands is manageable.

Anyone got any suggestions on a good shoulder brace.

Malcolm Hamilton December 27th, 2007 11:33 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts (I've been away for a few days, so just posting this now)... I might have to do a little arm-flexing/weight-training from the sounds of things... get myself in shape.
John, I gather the DVmultirig is nice... just google it.
Cheers,
Malcolm

Tom Hardwick December 27th, 2007 12:23 PM

After the Z1, the EX1 is a dream to hand-hold - and that's all down to the genius of the twisting, turning hand-grip. Wonderful.

John Hess December 27th, 2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 798792)
Thanks everyone for your thoughts (I've been away for a few days, so just posting this now)... I might have to do a little arm-flexing/weight-training from the sounds of things... get myself in shape.
John, I gather the DVmultirig is nice... just google it.
Cheers,
Malcolm

That looks nice.

Thanks for giving me yet another thing to spend my money on...

:)

Tom Roper December 27th, 2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 798816)
After the Z1, the EX1 is a dream to hand-hold - and that's all down to the genius of the twisting, turning hand-grip. Wonderful.

I don't understand your comment. The Z1 has the twisting, turning hand-grip as well.

Hedley Wright December 27th, 2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Roper (Post 798907)
I don't understand your comment. The Z1 has the twisting, turning hand-grip as well.

Really? Mine must be faulty then!

Tom Roper December 27th, 2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedley Wright (Post 798921)
Really? Mine must be faulty then!

I owned the Z1U before the XH-A1 !

It would be hard to convince you of that!

But since I must be wrong about the Z1, I'm probably confusing the rotating grip with my old GR-HD1, my bad and thanks for the correction.

Good to know that some people are okay the the EX1 ergos. I thought the Z1 ergos were at least as good as the XH-A1, the problem on either always had more to do with the controls on the left hand than the right.

The worry I have about the EX1 is whether I will be able to use the viewfinder with the left eye.

Pierre Louis Beranek December 27th, 2007 07:09 PM

Too Sideheavy, Grip too small

I'm surprised no one mentions that the EX1 is very side heavy since the grip is so far away from the camera's lateral center of gravity (compared to other small cameras, PD170, DVX100, etc). The rotating grip is a definite bonus, but the hand grip feels much too small, which results in a rather uncomfortable hand hold, for me at least. Realistically, this is a camera that can only be used with two hands, but I can't imagine shooting with any small camera with just one hand anyway.

I'm still going to buy one thought since other than this and a few other quirks, it seems like it's all there.

Phil Bloom December 28th, 2007 02:22 AM

I am starting to get used to it. But like all heavyish handheld cameras it kills you after a bit!

Tom Hardwick December 28th, 2007 02:46 AM

It's killing mode is designed in Phil. The quicker they can get you to use that tripod, the better will be your results.

Sebastien Thomas December 28th, 2007 04:16 AM

I spent some time shooting in Paris last wednesday, almost everything hand-held.
First solution is to take it by the handle. No problem here, you have the record button just under your fingers. It is well centered and easy to move. only problem is it's hard to take it up high.
Second solution, so, is to handle it with the side handler. I found it was easier to rotate it 90°. It gives me more power in the hand this way, and my fingers can move easyli to the zoom and expand focus switch.
After 30 mins shooting here and there it gets hard.
The last solution is to keep your left hand on the side, which is pretty much what you do when you are pulling focus. This way you can balance the camera. This will take some time to practice so the camera is not tilted.

The EX1 is a little heavier than others, but the place of switches and lens functions make it easy to handle with both hands.

You will also have to shorten the handler "rope" so you hand is tight attached to the handler.

I will try the EX1 on a glidecam this week-end, but I think I'll have to practice a lot before my arm gets enough power to handle it more than 3 mins long :)

Then, on a tripod, the camera is really easy to balance. If shooting in progressive mode you definitly need a smooth head so you don't get too much strobing...

Hope this helped.

Kevin Shaw December 28th, 2007 07:08 AM

If I remember right the person who made the original comment owns a Canon XL-H1, which to me is much more awkward than an Ex1. The EX1 is about the same size and weight as a Z1U.

Tuomas Sebastien December 28th, 2007 04:20 PM

Compared to pd-170 the EX1 is really hard to use hand held. In 170 you hold the camera nearer the main body of it.. EX1 handle is futher from the body which makes the weight point futher from your hand which then makes the camera's weight wanting to tilt left. Happy that I got shoulderbrace.

Kevin Shaw December 29th, 2007 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuomas Sebastien (Post 799393)
EX1 handle is futher from the body which makes the weight point futher from your hand which then makes the camera's weight wanting to tilt left. Happy that I got shoulderbrace.

Good point. When I tested the EX1 I did so with a "MiniRover" bracket on the left side which counter-acts any tendency to tilt that way while holding the camera with both hands, and that worked fine for me. Plus the forward placement of the LCD gives you more flexibility for holding the camera with the top handle at waist level to give your arms a rest, something not practical with rear-mounted LCDs. So the EX1 is manageable up to a point, but if I wanted to run around with it for a long period of time I'd probably use a monopod.

Paul Joy December 30th, 2007 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't recommend the DVMultiRig enough - you won't regret getting one.

Paul.

Charles Young December 30th, 2007 09:41 PM

So Paul, exactly what is the setup that you have displayed here. It looks like "Robo-Camera and the giant rat". (I like it)

Piotr Wozniacki December 31st, 2007 04:11 AM

I don't have my EX1 yet, but I'm going to test it with 4 different supports:

- PAG Orbitor shoulder mount
- the simple shoulder mount that many UK dealers are attaching to the EX1 shipment (most of them free)
- the Manfrotto MN561B monopod

The fourth one is of course my Manfrotto 503/525 tripod, but this is another matter. As to the PAG Orbitor vs. DV(multi)rig (which I also tried with my V1), the main difference is that with the former, you can support the camera with one hand - it's stable enough and won't sway to the side, so that you can use your left hand to manipulate buttons and rings in manual mode. While I like the idea of the Multirig being so universal, I didn't like it's never exactly the same each time you set it up, which I found annoying.

I suspect I will be using the monopod most of the time, though.

Paul Joy December 31st, 2007 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Young (Post 800263)
So Paul, exactly what is the setup that you have displayed here. It looks like "Robo-Camera and the giant rat". (I like it)

Hi Charles.

The camera is mounted to the DVMultiRig (www.dvmultirig.com). I like it because it folds up to a really compact size and can be adjusted to suit many different needs.

The rig comes with a padded belt and support arm which I find very easy to use with one hand whilst adjusting the lens with the other, although in the picture shown it's set up for two handed operation.

Also attached to the camera is a rode mic holder, Sennheiser MK416 shotgun, Rycote softie and Sony 7506 cans.

Shortly after took this photo the rig ran off and built a nest in the corner of our lounge and has trapped an eaten quite a few small animals :)

Bob Pascucci December 31st, 2007 06:43 PM

handholding the EX-1

I'm glad that most of what I do involves a tripod - but so far I've found the easiest/cheapest approach to hand-holding the beast is to actually use the shoulder strap that comes with the camera, hang it from my neck, and then support it with two hands against my abdomen. Most of the weight is on the strap, so my hands are relatively free to focus/zoom/change settings, etc.

Bob P

Malcolm Hamilton December 31st, 2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 800335)
As to the PAG Orbitor vs. DV(multi)rig (which I also tried with my V1), the main difference is that with the former, you can support the camera with one hand - it's stable enough and won't sway to the side, so that you can use your left hand to manipulate buttons and rings in manual mode. While I like the idea of the Multirig being so universal, I didn't like it's never exactly the same each time you set it up, which I found annoying.
I suspect I will be using the monopod most of the time, though.

This is very informative, Piotr. Of course I have to keep trying to figure out what does or doesn't apply to me. I shoot almost everything handheld (so monopod is out); I move the camera almost constantly - - subtly, mind you, not shaky-cam style. Given that, it's either the PAG Orbitor or the DV(multi)rig... I hear what you're saying about the multirig being a little different each time you set it up... but I might be able to leave mine set up (I don't travel as much as I used to).
Tell me, since you've used both - - for a shooter who likes to change the camera angle in mid-shot (sometimes a little dutch; sometimes I might move around my subject, etc.), are they both equally good, or is one better than the other?
Cheers, and Happy New Year everyone.
Malcolm

Piotr Wozniacki December 31st, 2007 07:57 PM

Malcolm,

IMHO, not only is the PAG Orbitor more stable, but you can pan and tilt the camera had with your hands on the two handles - no need for body rotation/bowing for minor camera angle adjustments.

It also has two straps that secore the shoulder pad to the waist belt, thus making it absolutely safe - in fact, you don't need to hold/support it at all!

But for walking shots, the Multirig (without sholder support, just the waist support mode) is better. It also takes much less space when folded.

Of course you'd be best off if you could try both and decide yourself...

Emmet ODonoghue January 2nd, 2008 10:00 AM

Zacuto

Has anyone experience of the Zacuto rigs?
http://www.zacuto.com/sony_EX1.htm

Pricey, I notice. How viable are the handheld setups for the EX1 and Letus DoF adapters?

Paul Cronin January 6th, 2008 10:18 AM

Emmet thanks for the link to Zacuto. Their parts look very high quality and after three days in my shop building my rig I think a few of their part will help to complete my rig.

Emmet ODonoghue January 10th, 2008 04:39 PM

Glad to be of help Paul, hope they work out for you...

Paul Cronin January 10th, 2008 04:53 PM

Emmet I will find out tomorrow when it shows up and I try it for the first time.

Paul Cronin January 12th, 2008 12:02 PM

I have now used my new Zacuto shoulder brace system and it is the best system I have ever used. And in the last two years I have been through 12 systems with 7 of those ones I have built.

The first thing that impressed me when I opened the box was the quality of the machining. Then I was impressed on how stiff the system is when fully together. It is the stiffest shoulder brace I have ever used.

When putting a system together they have recommendations but I built a system with them from scratch since I have a unique problem of gyros. Also I have it set up to carry my shotgun mic, two wireless mics, and now have room for a light.

I have added the DVtec spring pod to the front of the system when I use both gyros.

If you are looking for a shoulder brace that you can balance and carry everything you need for a 10 hr shoot days in a row this is the one. I am not working for them and paid full retail (-5% by asking) and feel it is one of the best purchases I have made to make my job easier. But like a great camera it is not cheap in my opinion worth every penny. Beware they added a storm case and case foam custom cut which I did not ask for when ordering. I caught this on the quote and had them removed.

Piotr Wozniacki February 3rd, 2008 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Many UK dealers offer a simple shoulder support along with the EX1 (one is even giving one free with every EX1 order); does anyone who has bought their EX1 in the UK use it? Is it any good at all?

Here is the link:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...oulder_mount-1

and a picture:

Phil Bloom February 3rd, 2008 09:08 AM

it doesn't counterbalance so it won't solve the front heavy aspect, but it looks like it would be better than nothing!

Mike Marriage February 3rd, 2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 819337)
Many UK dealers offer a simple shoulder support along with the EX1 (one is even giving one free with every EX1 order); does anyone who has bought their EX1 in the UK use it? Is it any good at all?

Piotr,

I have tried that support and found it was surprisingly good. You can actually release the camera with both hands and it stays wedged on your shoulder and chest.

It may cause a problem with breathing moving the shot because of the support on the chest but it is very effective in so far as it takes the whole weight of the camera and seemed very comfortable to me.

HOWEVER, I didn't like the lack of a quick release. I couldn't see how it would pack and unpack fast enough. You could probably add a separate plate to it though.

Compared to some far more expensive attempts I've tried, this was by far the most comfortable.

Ian Smith February 3rd, 2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Marriage (Post 819532)
Piotr,

I have tried that support and found it was surprisingly good. You can actually release the camera with both hands and it stays wedged on your shoulder and chest.

It may cause a problem with breathing moving the shot because of the support on the chest but it is very effective in so far as it takes the whole weight of the camera and seemed very comfortable to me.

HOWEVER, I didn't like the lack of a quick release. I couldn't see how it would pack and unpack fast enough. You could probably add a separate plate to it though.

Compared to some far more expensive attempts I've tried, this was by far the most comfortable.

What he said! (I too have this support).

Piotr Wozniacki February 3rd, 2008 03:40 PM

Thanks Mike for your feedback - I'm awaiting a shipment containing it, so now I will have quite an array of supporting device (apart from the regular tripod):

- the shoulder mount in question
- the PAG Orbitor support I commented on earlier
- the Manfrotto monopod with panning bottom and tilitin upper heads

I guess each has its strengths and weaknesses; I'll report on their actual practicality.

Steven D. Martin February 3rd, 2008 04:48 PM

Anton Bauer EZGripz

I got one of these after seeing it at NAB:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...a_Support.html

Inexpensive and totally rocks. The handholds are bendable and the right side rests against your arm while you hold the camera grip.

Brian Jansen February 4th, 2008 09:55 AM

Here is another well thought out design at a nice price.
I like the option for adding/holding things like batteries, drives or a light
off to the side of the camera.
http://www.vortexmedia.com/EX1DVD/VSB1.html

Piotr Wozniacki February 19th, 2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 819337)

Here is the link:

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...oulder_mount-1

and a picture:

OK, so I got the support from my UK supplier (won't tell you how long I had to wait for this GBP 20 worth of "equipment"), and am testing it encouraged by some people, including even Philip Bloom:)

One thing I don't know (it came without any printed instructions): there is an additional bracket with the accessory shoe on it; how do you fix it? Any link to a picture of this shoulder support fully assembled?

Phil Bloom February 19th, 2008 01:48 PM

you can buy it on ebay for £20. It works well. Go to my blog for a review and of others.

The hot shoe and other bits are for other cameras and are of new use for ex1 users.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Shoulder-S...QQcmdZViewItem