Rolling Shutter, the truth once and for all? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old December 27th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rolling Shutter, the truth once and for all?

I am asking anyone with direct experience with the EX1. Someone on a FCP forum said that the rolling shutter problem is major. What are the facts?

Thanks!

Larry
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Make sure you are getting information from people who are actually using the camera, not those repeating that they heard that it can be an issue.

If you search the forum here there are plenty of post from people who have have bounced, whipped, shaken, and almost thrown the camera while shooting. The footage has been for the most problem free.

Is that enough truth for you?

K
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #3
Trustee

I'm not seeing the jello. The one person that I've seen mentioned this by kicking the tripod. But, when asked if OIS was on, never replied.

I own the camera and if anyone has been following my complaints about slow AF, vignetting, barrel distortion, rolling shutter issues have not been a problem. LOL, If it were, you'd be hearing it from me, that's for sure!

I even went to the extent of jarring my tripod, driving around with the camera no issues (on dash rocky road). If I take the camera and sway it really fast back and forth, I do see some skew, but with all the motion blur, it's hard to really make out. Since I plan on using the EX1 for concert events, I tested it with moving head lights set to strobe. No partial exposures. In fact it looked great. Now, I do know a camera flash can cause partial exposure.

Does it have some rolling shutter issues, I'm sure it does. Are they so bad that they destroy the shot.... not in my opinion. With the EX1 camera's other exceptional capabilities, such as low light, low noise, high rez, low CA, I'm willing to live with a small percentage of fault as opposed to a camera that does horrible in low light, low rez, and noisy. Those faults are there at a MUCH higher percentage of use.
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

'Nuff said. Thanks folks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds