DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/111394-various-xdcam-ex-posts-2008-a.html)

Charles Dasher February 27th, 2008 02:05 PM

Audio shorting out with headphones

I have had an issue come up while where the audio signal cuts out completely when headphones are plugged in. Channel 1 is set to external with a shotgun and channel 2 is set to internal.

Suddenly the meters show nothing and no audio is recorded. We were shooting a golf pro the other day and when it came time to focus on capturing a few clips especially for audio I plugged in my headphones and the audio signal disappeared completely. So there is the golf pro from the 4 Seasons Nevis all ready to go and I am trying to figure out where my audio signal went. I shut the camera down and fired back up and there it was back to normal.

This happened on an interview last week. The audio guy was running a line in from the mixer and asked pointed out the problem.

It seems to have something to do with the headphone jack shorting something out. We tried different headsets and still the same.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Paulo Teixeira February 28th, 2008 01:21 AM

Watch.Impress review of the Sony EX1

Original Japanese:
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...7/zooma347.htm

English Translated:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...2Fzooma347.htm

David Hadden March 1st, 2008 05:37 AM

"Snap" Zoom's with EX

Or at least, that's what I've always called them. Anyway, I've been wondering what the situation is with these type of high speed zooms with the rolling shutter? ( don't suppose anyone could toss their lense into manual and a snap zoom for me real fast just so i could see how it looks? )

TIA :)

Dave

Leonard Levy March 5th, 2008 02:31 AM

HDisks for editing?

I am getting a MacBook pro today. Am very excited.

Until now I had an old G4 that was not really fast enough for HD editing. However I will be configuring my new computer with Final Cut Studio 6 - FCP 6, compressor DVD studio pro etc.

I own an Sony EX-1 and an HVX 200 so I want to be able to edit my own stuff now. That means some of the footage will be DVCPro100 (the HVX200) and some will be Sony EX-1 files (XDCAM EX format)

My question is what do I need to use for my media drives. I have an assortment of 250G firewire 400/ USB drives , 250G eSATA drives (I'm getting an expresscard to eSATA adapter) and portable 2.5" firewire 800 drives to use for media.

Can I cut at all with my media on single drives or do I need to make some kind of a raid. If I am able to get by without a raid how will that limit me?

What differences will I have with the Panasonic vs the Sony files and can I cut them into the same timeline?

Thanks,

Lenny Levy

Sebastien Thomas March 5th, 2008 03:26 AM

Grading footage and matching with HDV

Hi,

I just started a new thread here about grading with color or magic bullet looks :
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116345

While writing it, I just got a thought about what I did yesterday.
I was looking at my EX1 footage, then I imported the HDV footage to FCP. Then I recompressed the HDV footage in prores HQ 422 1080@25p.

I was wondering if this is the right way to go to have something in progressive and full HD to match the EX1 footage.
As FCP knows how to import any format in the timeline, wouldn't it be simpler (or better) to simply have a XDcam-EX (1080@25p) sequence, then put the HDV footage (1440x1080@50i) inside ?

Anybody have any experience ?

Thanks.

Erwin van Dijck March 5th, 2008 10:11 AM

Any EX owners in the Netherlands?

Hello all,

Sorry for the bold question but: are there any freelancers/camera ops with an EX1 who can edit on FCP here in the Netherlands?
I am trying to make myself a small list of people I can call in case of extra hands needed. A personal msg is ok. Thanks a lot!

regards,
Erwin

Joachim Hoge March 6th, 2008 06:44 AM

Mixing EX1 and H1 in one timeline

Hi
We are about to shoot 4 TV programs and we use mainly H1 and A1s. We now have a EX1 as well and would like to combine footage all cameras.
(Itīs a freeride tour for skiers, so we will use 4 or 5 cameras)

We need the EX1 for slo-mo (and we have one, so itīs cheaper than renting another Canon)

We will end up in a SD format for broadcast, not decided what yet.
Ideally we would like to use PremierePro because that is the most powerfull workstation we have.
We have Final Cut as well, but only a Intel Imac for hardware.

Any suggestions to a good workflow here?
We will start testing tomorrow, but any pointers in the right direction will be appreciated.

PS We have to shoot in HDV to future proof the material for the sponsors

Alexander Kubalsky March 6th, 2008 08:08 AM

Casio EXILIM Pro EX-F1

Somebody started a thread here a while ago about this still/movie Camera being a possible B Camera for the EX1. Couldnt find the thread so started a new one. Its shoots HD 60fps and some other awesome overcrank -although at lower resolution. I got some specs if any one's interested. It should be out this month. I wonder if shots from this could be intercut with a HD camera. Id put up with some digital grain for some cool slow-mo.

Here are some specs.

HD video
1920 × 1080 (FHD HQ / FHD Normal, 60 fields / s)
1280 × 720 (HD LP, 30 fps)

Movie HiSpeed
512 × 384 (300 fps)
432 × 192 (600 fps)
96 × 336 (1200 fps)

Robert M Wright March 7th, 2008 11:31 PM

Live MPEG2 stream through USB?

Does anyone know if the PMW-EX1 outputs a live MPEG2 stream through the USB port, like HDV camcorders do through the firewire port (while on standby or recording)?

Lonnie Bell March 9th, 2008 08:28 PM

Are the HD Analog Component and HD-SDI outputs live simultaneously?

Hello,
Looking ahead to a running the HD-Analog to a Panny 1700 and the HD-SDI to the Flash XDR...
So, are both outputs live simultaneously?

Thanks,
Lonnie

Greg Hawkes March 10th, 2008 03:58 PM

Exporting to MXF

Can anybody help.

Filmed a music drama today and having problems exporting two clips (1 on card A and the second spans to Card B).

Copied both clips to hard drive using XDCAM ECX clip browser software.
When I asked to export to MXF got this message:

Condition failure - assertion failure: acheivable padded length.

The upshot is I can't convert to MXF files fore editing in Vegas.

Nick Schale March 14th, 2008 09:03 AM

SxS cards... Sony vs Other

So now that the attention is focused on other branded SxS cards. I'm curious. What is the $$ number to go with a differnet brand? If an off brand is only 5% cheaper, I'm likely to just stick with Sony.

What would the opening price have to be to switch for everyone?

8gig?
16gig?

Devin Termini March 14th, 2008 03:35 PM

Transfer footage directly from EX-1 to hard disk

Hello all,

I know it has been asked before, but can someone transfer the footage from an EX1 to an external hard drive without the use of a laptop? I found an article on how the HVX-200 does it (http://www.noladoc.com/?p=29). I was just wondering if the EX1 had a similar feature.
Thanks.

Jamie Baughman March 18th, 2008 12:07 PM

SxS Card Reader Needed to rent

Hi Folks,

I've rented my camera out to an indie shooting in the San Francisco Bay Area next week and they're desperate for a SxS Card reader. Is there anyone in the Bay Area that would be interested in renting there card reader out for the week? It would be out on the 24th and back in on the 29th.

Let me know if anyone's interested.

Thanks!

Clark Peters March 18th, 2008 08:30 PM

What do the matrix settings mean?

I have been following the Picture Profile threads very closely.

I have been unable to learn one thing: What do the individual adjustments mean? R-G, R-B, etc. What does each one change? And what does the phase adjustment change?

Thanks.
Pete