Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Tourist

Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008

Archive and Workflow

I know the archive issue has been beaten to death but I would like to ask a slightly different question:

Using the transfer tool in FCP, it looks like it defaults to putting all your media into a single folder which is specified in the prefs of the transfer utility.

Assuming you work on many projects at once, at what point in the process are you finding the best time to archive your footage? How are you keeping a library of where that project is stored for future retrieval?

Are you throwing all your footage for every project into that single folder and making incremental backups to a large format backup like LTO and once that tape fills up, starting a new one and remembering that project X is on LTO tape 5?

Or are you archiving individual projects as soon as the footage gets loaded - maybe on a DL DVD-R. That way, when it comes time to make revisions to that project - you can get that DVD-R off the shelf and reload the footage. So this way you have an archive library which is labeled by project name.

To me, the second way makes more sense but is that because I'm so used to FCP keeping media seperated into folders that match the project name?

Any other workflow ideas I'm missing?
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Major Player

Best HD card for EX-1 editing

I posted a similar question on the post forum but got no hits. I am building a new MacPro system to go with my new EX-1 and plan to get an HD card (for FCP). But which card to get? Looking to spend around 1500(ish) but then I saw the Blackmagic Intensity which is a steal for 300-400 bucks. My main concern is output monitoring on a NTSC CRT or a HDMI equipped HD monitor. I see that some of the cards offer hardware acceleration for DVCPROHD or HDV but I don't know if that will offer anything for editing EX files natively.

My main concern is output, but I may run into situations where I want to ingest via the HD-SDI port. Currently I am editing on a MacBook Pro, which works great, but I want a second system and the ability to properly monitor my signal.

Just want to know what you EX-1 cutters are using?

Thanks,
B
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Major Player

BC-U1 Battery Charger

Is anyone bothered by the stiffness of the DC power cable? I would like to replace it, found two screws under the bottom, but these do not open the case, has any one taken apart the charger?
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #4
Tourist

Editing to SD interlaced

If my footage is shot at 1080 30p and I'm editing for distribution on miniDV (at standard def, naturally) what are best settings to use to minimize the progressive frame stutter? Not that I terribly mind that look, I'm just wondering if there's a way to minimize it.

I'm editing to a the NTSC DV sequence setting preset. and resizing and reframing my footage to fit 4:3 full frame. (cause that's what the client wanted)
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Clip browser plays choppy?

using the mac book pro... clip browsers plays clips choppy at times... did anyone experience this? when I play in tye browser frame by frame it looks ok... no bad frames...
Robert Musiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

lens remote

Has sony released any information on their lens remote for the ex1. What functions will it control, will it be wireless, are there 3rd parties involved?

Thanks
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Major Player

MainConcept MPEG PRO HD 3

Hello All,

New here (and to the EX 1), and I'm loving the forum and the cam.

I have been using MPEG PRO HD 3 for editing in Premiere CS3 and am interested to see if others are using this plugin, and if so what their experiences have been.

Best,
Randy
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Converting the EX1's Sunshade into a Matte Box

The most basic matte box costs $500+ so I'm thinking why not add some sort of carrousel to the front end of the EX1's sunshade to take filters. IE convert the included sunshade into a matte box. Anyone ever considered or tried this?

Mike
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew

power book and ex1

What is the best connection to monitor the ex1 on a mac intel dual power book. Software sony XDCAM EX Clip Browser and FCP 6.02. USB or Firewire and what software.

Thanks
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

EX1- RedRock Follow Focus

Hi guys, I have a Chroziel matte box atttahced on 15 mm rails

Does anyone know if the "RedRock Follow focus" will work ok with this ok. Any watchouts?

Link:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....=2&category=11
Based on the website I need the 'D' ring as well.

I know Petroff, Cavision and Chroziel have one two. Anyone using any of those with the EX1

Cheers
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Product Registration vs. Card Rebate

Hi folks,

Just filled out the online rebate page for the 8gb card and wanted to see if that qualifies as the product registration.

In the stack of papers I see before me now, I don't see a product registration card...

After submitting the rebate, do I also need to go here:
https://productregistration.sony.com/Default.aspx

Thanks again!
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #12
Major Player

QuickTime 7.4.1 Is Out

Available for Mac & Windows.

For those of you having issues with 7.4, perhaps this is a fix.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #13
Inner Circle

One spanned clip doesn't play in XDCAM Xfer tool

Mac G5 using XDCAM Xfer tool 2.1, one spanned clip doesn't play video.

I shot a long interview. One segment was over 30 minutes which spanned two files on one card and onto a 2nd card (for a total of 3 clip segments).

I hooked camera usb to computer and opened XDCAM Xfer tool. Other clips played. Spanned clip was ghosted and in the view window was video was black although the Time Code was there.

The clips would not import.

I selected the 2 ghosted clips on one card and used Fetch Meta Data command. I did the same with the 3rd part on the other card. The clips still did no show video but were no longer ghosted and imported without issue.

In Final Cut Pro the imported clips played without issue.

Odd that Xfer tool couldn't play clips and needed the meta data fetched though. I'm wondering if the fact that the clip had 2 parts on one card and the 3rd on another might have been the issue.

Again
Part 1 & Part 2 on one card spanned.
Part 3 on second card continuing span.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #14
New Boot

XDCAM Export from FCP to PP4 Help!

Hi,

I have shot XDCAM footage on the EX-1, and have it in FCP, however I need to export it so an editor can edit it on Premiere Pro 3..... I have tried straight AVI, but it looks soft, and I can't seem to find a Quicktime lossless format the PP will open in.....

Does anyone know the best way to export from Final Cut in a lossless format so that it can be cut in PP?

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Oneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #15
Regular Crew

What EX1 Progressive format to mix with A1U

I am shooting a short travel piece in the Caribbean next week. I would like to shoot 30p or 24p. For underwater footage we will be using a Sony A1U in a dive housing.

My question is what format mix will be optimal for editing in FCP 2?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Dasher
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds