Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 10th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #16
Inner Circle

EX1 native 25p is twitter-free!

Withe V1E, I avoided hooking it directly to a HDTV (using compenent or HDMI), because in the 25PsF mode I used almost exclusively, it was unwatchable due to the heavy line twittering, caused by the HDTV circuitry unnecessarily deinterlacing the signal. Instead, I captured everything straight to my PC, and either watched using a software MPEG player with deinterlacing off (like VLC, Nero Showtime), or - after having edited in Vegas - burned BD's. Not having a stationary BD player though, even the BD's I made ended up being watched using the PC, anyway...

Now, I just tried to hook my EX1 up to the HDTV using component, and here it was again - the "wow" factor! In fact, playing directly gives not only much more punchy and dynamic picture than using a PC graphics card; it also is much more noise free - no single trace of the mosquito noise! And the most imprtant thing: the same displays that couldn't play the V1E's 25PsF correctly, do not twitter at all when fed the EX1's native 24, 25 or 30p :)

My question to those having tried the video from EX1 played back from a stationary BD or HD DVD player: not using a PC graphics card, does it offer a similar experience as direct watching from camera?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; February 10th, 2008 at 06:49 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #17
Major Player

Need Help! Try the Prospect HD trial download on a file larger than 2gb's for me?

No better place to ask than actual EX-1 users. All files that were larger than 2gb's would not convert properly, my entire system is NTFS. I even took an mxf file that was 8gb's, plays perfectly, but won't convert. Can someone download a trial version and convert something larger than 2gb's to see if I am the only one with the problem? Appreciate the help. I would have posted this in the Cineform forum, but there are some here who could download the trial and let me know if it works that don't go to the Cineform forum. I have PC and PPro CS3.

Thanks
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Slow shutter framerate? Best way to downconvert?

Hey guys!

Have a few questions after my first day out with the ex1 (http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=114492)

I tried doing some slow shutter footage of a waterfall (16 in the EX slow shutter menu). Of course the footage turned out all choppy but figured i could fix this in post.. Just could figure out what speed.. Is there an undercrank speed that makes the 16 shutter speed play with one frame for each shutter step? Anybody tried this?

Second Question (may be posted before).
What is the best way to downconvert the footage to SD? Demoing the camera to the other guys at work tomorrow and they are skeptic on replacing our sdx-900 with xdcam 355 or pdw-700 when it comes because of poor downconverting quality..

Hope someone has some answers!
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #19
Trustee

Can't import into FCP

please delete this post

Last edited by Leonard Levy; February 10th, 2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: double post
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #20
New Boot

EX Deck?

In the thread about the Sony wide angle adaptor, Paul Joy posted a link to a Sky news video about the recent Broadcast show in London (you can see Philip Bloom in the background demo-ing the EX1) -http://www.schneideroptics.com/century/dv/ex/ex.htm

If you stop the clip at the 01:12 mark, you see a picture of what looks like a new EX deck of some sort. I post the screen grab here. Anyone have any news about this device? Is it simply a playback machine? There is clearly a record button - could it be an archive machine with a built in hard drive - not unlike the P2 store that Panny make? What do you think....?

Forgive me if someone has already posted about this and I missed it.

Edit: My bad - someone has already discussed this a while back. Apologies.http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=106583
Attached Thumbnails
Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008-ex-deck.jpg  
Simon Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Archiving ex1 videofiles with an external usb copier?

Hi
has anybody tried to use an external usb copier (Belkin for instance) for transferring data from the cards in the camera via usb to a diskdrive.
So that you donīt have to carry a laptop with you?

Thanks for any hints
Holger
Holger Neuhaeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #22
New Boot

Can anyone share a 10 sec mp4 from EX1

I am interested in testing my workflow with my AVID Express Pro HD and a raw file from an EX1. Is anyone willing to send me a 10 sec file from their SxS card?
If so, studio@lenzstudio.com is my email address
Tim Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #23
Trustee

SQ mxf files.no audio peaks in vegas pro 8.

When i put SQ 1080/50i mxf files in the vegas timeline,there's no audio peaks,is this normal ? The audio and video plays fine.
1080/50i HQ does show audio peaks.
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #24
Inner Circle

EX1 HD to SD in Final Cut Pro

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...put_young.html

This is a great article on how to get an excellent and proper HD to SD in Final Cut Pro. Good clear step by step with pictures.

I hope I'm not breaking a DVInfo policy by posting a link to another site but when someone writes an excellent workflow article I'd rather point to the original author than paraphrase.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #25
Major Player

EDIUS 4.6 Now Available

Edius 4.6 upgrade is now online, and Broadcast version handles EX-1 files natively.

You can open the tools options in the bin window, select and open the Sony browser software, (acts as a plugin), select all the clips you want and just drag them into the Edius bin. Close the browser software! Add to timeline! Done! Start editing!

Terrific.

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #26
Major Player

Circ Polarizer

I just purchased and installed B+W SLIM 77mm (MC) Kaessemann Circular Polarizer Filter on my EX1. It fits fine under the supplied lens hood. I can see however, that a standard thickness filter would be too thick.
Just thought I'd post my findings as it is a tight fit.
Best, Craig Hollenback
www.keystv.com
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM   #27
Tourist

pdw-f70 down conversion

Discovered a strange and disheartening problem with the downconversion in the pdw-f70. It appears to only support "squeeze" mode while recording to disc. It downconverts fine while in record/pause mode, but when recording to disc it will only squeeze. This is very strange... am I smoking crack or something? Anyone know if there's a firmware update to address this?
Mark Fassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #28
Regular Crew

SDI capture from card sync issue

I had some time to get the job I just shot loaded, so after i transferred the data files, I decided to capture all three cards over SDI into FC via Kona Lhe.

I'm taking the 1080i HQ files and capturing them as uncompressed 10bit SD. they look really great, but all of the audio is 7 frames out of sync. It's perfect on the cards and plays back in sync from those files.

Has anyone else tried this? What was the result?

Thanks,

Vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #29
Major Player

A perfect PAL EX1 - worth the wait

Hi there, I have been reading these posts since early December and now finally my camera has arrived this afternoon. First tests show no sign of vignetting or stuttering zoom control and back focus looks to be fine. Too soon to tackle the browser to download files, will wait until I feel strong. HD-SDI into a Sony HDW-D1800 recorder looks good. Monitoring on Panasonic 17" LCD in HD-SDI. Will ingest HDCAM transfers into Avid Adrenaline for editing in the short term. Doug Jensen's Vortex Media DVD has been great to get moving quickly. The EX1 already feels like an old friend - the vibes are good.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #30
Major Player

Sony PVM-2130 good with EX1/Vegas8?

Hi,

I have the possibility of getting Sony PVM-2130 for quite cheap. Problem is I dont anything about this monitor (its definately SD though). But would it be relatively good for monitoring my EX1 material via Vegas 8? I have a miniDV so i could use that to feed the monitor. Does anyone have any knowledge about this monitor?

-EDIT-
Sorry, realised this is slightly off topic, please move if need be.
-EDIT-

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds