Various XDCAM EX posts from 2008 - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 7th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #151
Regular Crew

wide angle on ex3

I am looking at an ex3 because of it's interchange lens capabilities. I have an ex1 and very happy but have made a number of compromises to obtain a super wide angle view ( a Bolex lens mounted on the ex1). I am looking at what is available in the super wide 1/2" for the ex3.

Fujinon makes 1 ultra wide (XS13x35RMM) which looks like a 16mm in 35mm terms. I haven't seen any canon 1/2" to compare. Any other suggestions??

Also, have they or do they make a fixed lens in a super wide?

Thanks
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #152
Inner Circle

How to convert EX1 MOV files for Windows

OK. I've had a problem where I needed to convert some EX1 files from the MOV wrapper to something that Avid Liquid 7.2 could read. After a lot of struggling I have found a way. Here is my solution:

Software you'll need:

FFMPEG
MPEG Streamclip 1.2

Here is how you do it.

Put all of the MOV files you want to convert into a folder and use FFMPEG to extract the video to M2V (if you need the command line to do this let me know. I have a small script that does the whole folder at once).

Then...

Run "MPEG Streamclip" on the same MOV files and extract the audio to AIFF. The batch feature makes this easy too.

When you are done you will have 3 files for each one you started with. The original MOV, one M2V and one AIFF. From there you can rename all of the AIFF files to WAV files and bring them into your windows program. Avid Liquid handles the M2V and WAV files fine.

But wait.. theres more! :)

If you need the audio and video in the same file then all you have to do is run the M2V and AIFF files back through "MPEG Streamclip" and it will mux them as a batch into a single file. FFMPEG will also do this but its harder to do because you have to do it one at a time. Its easy to do a folder at once with "MPEG Streamclip".

I've gone through it a few times now and it does work. You are not transcoding the video during any of this so you are not suffering any generation losses either.

I hope this helps someone else out there.
Old October 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #153
Major Player

Got my EX3

I posted my first impressions already but I wanted to celebrate this moment proper. It's been a long time since I had a prosumer camera and honestly I just didn't see anything that excited me enough to buy another. Last one I had was a Pro line Panasonic F2 from way back in the 80s. I've had various consumer cameras since then with varying degrees of picture quality, but I've always kept my eye on the prosumer market. I knew one day I would see the right camera come out and I would buy.

Damn near bought an EX1, I was really tempted, but it just seemed like a bit of polish on the design and the ergonomics or something was a bit off. Then the EX3 came out and it was love at first sight. Time to buy. Wasn't easy either, even with inflation the 2 grand Panasonic F2 doesn't equal out to 8 grand in modern money I believe.

Enough of that though, I love the EX3 and the fact that the camera design doesn't talk down to you, you need to learn how to get what you want from it, makes it all the better. Love it. Very happy with the pictures I am getting and as I learn the camera that will only improve...

I made a little video to celebrate my EX3, sort of like my version of the Philip Bloom/Derek Corba EX3 tour. PLEASE forgive my green screen, it was my first try.. LOL and I think my white balance was off but you get the idea. Not only am I learning the EX3 but Sony Vegas too...:)

Also some direct comparisons to my SR11 in that.

Sony PMW EX3 xdcam demo on Vimeo

Here is a backup video on youtube.
YouTube - Sony PMW EX3 xdcam demo
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #154
Regular Crew

Shooting XDcam EX in PAL country for Apple TV playout

Thanks Rob Collins for the Apple TV suggestion to my previous MacMini Post.

Here's a new question:

If I'm going to shoot HD with an EX1 in a PAL country (I usually shoot 1080/25p) specifically for SD DVD (Pal) and HD playout on an AppleTV what format shout I shoot, given that Apple TV specs, even in PAL countries appears to be 24p?

Tanx
Old October 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #155
Major Player

re colors ex3

Hi, i am getting close to what i want from my color set up,just wantes to know i want to add a bit more contrast to the black, but i need to sitll be able to shoot in low light, any ideas ?

rob.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM   #156
Trustee

No timecode in 720/50p

I've just been looking at some clips on my vegas timeline, i ran a script, "add timecode to media", all the clips had timecode except for the 720/50p clips, they started at 00.00.00.
I had all formats on the timeline at the same time,1080/50 SQ, 1080/50i HQ, 1080/25p and the 720/50p, all were showing the correct timecode apart from 720/50p.

Any suggestions ?
I was using the transcend/kensington combo at the time, i think i read somewhere on this forum about problems with timecode using the card combo, but i can't find it now.

Paul.
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #157
Major Player

Share Your Favorite Picture Profile Recipes

I'm doing a presentation at DVExpo in LA on the EX-3 (with reference to EX-1, of course) and was wondering whether any of our users here would like to share your favorite picture profile recipes.

I obviously will just not be copying and distributing any of the profiles listed on the board without permission.

I would prefer a text or Word file containing your settings, your comments on the "look" this profile generates, and of course your name and permission to distribute it. All submissions will be attributed.

Please PM me or send email via the board.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #158
Major Player

EX3 in West Michigan?

Are there any EX3 owners in the West Michigan area?

For those that didn't notice the other threads, I am collaborating with Ted O'Malley on a shoulder mount / tripod mount reinforcement base for the EX3, but I don't have an EX3 camera. I have all other equipment, materials & experience needed (check my web page link in my profile), just not the camera itself. Ted is in a relatively distant state, so I need to find an EX3 that is closer to me.

I need to make several measurements and get an in-person feel for the overall form. I would appreciate it if I can find someone willing to let me do that locally. I expect to only need two or three half-hour sessions, the owner / user can be present the whole time. I can drive you you, and I'm willing to make it worth your while.

Please let me know through private message or email.

Thank you!
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #159
Regular Crew

looking for EX1 owner in Northern NJ

Hey guys.

I am looking for an EX1 owner in northern NJ to test a prototype bracket that I have made for the EX1. I would need the testing to be done this weekend--nothing serious, just mount the bracket and shoot a bit and give me your feedback. As compensation I will give you a free bracket when they are produced. It would help if you use a wireless receiver like the Sennheiser Evolution.

You can email me at Jrodinfo@verizon.net.

Thanks !
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #160
Major Player

EX3 + Canon KH20 settings ?

Does anyone know if it is possible to calibrate the CA of the Canon KH20 on the EX3 in the menu yet? I have no idea what all the settings in the lens profile bit do and would appreciate some help.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM   #161
Regular Crew

HDV 60i to ProRes in FCP

I am shooting mostly action sports with EX1 720/30p. I'm trying to figure out what the best consumer format to mix on a FCP EX 720/30p timeline is. HDV 60i, Avchd 60i, Canon Avchd 30p? Anyone who has experience mixing consumer formats with EX1 footage I appreciate any feedback.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #162
Contributor

New BP-U60 adapter plate released

http://www.dolgin.net/EX-Vadapter.htm
Allows to power 12V-14V accessories with BP-U60/BP-U30 batteries
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #163
Tourist

undercranking with fast shutter speed...?

EX-3, shooting 1080p HQ: I am interested in shooting 6 fps with the shutter at 1/2000 of a sec or the shutter angle at 11.5 degrees. If I set the shutter speed or shutter angle to my desired setting while in 24p mode, when I switch into Variable Speed mode to undercrank, my shutter speed settings are disabled and the shutter is turned off and I can't adjust it. Is there a way to over-ride? I want crisp frames while undercranking.
Jacques Ahitkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #164
Regular Crew

Ex1 / Macbook Pro / Hdtv - Calibration?

Im cutting on FCP on a new macbook pro hooked up to a panasonic 42inch plasma TV.
My question is - when I calibrated the monitor (the plasma) the other screen is the 17inch macbook pro - at TV gamma 2.2 (not apples default) - that the resulting setting maximized the contrast for the plasma through the hdmi connection. This makes the laptop pictures look overly contrast and so does normal video - however, in FCP - I think it looks about right.

Is this the correct setup?
I'm guessing they are trying to get max white and black out of a hdtv monitor for NTSC??

However, is this correct for calibrating HDTV and blue-ray?
If Im color correcting for both DVD (ntsc) and HD - can I use my plasma TV for both?

I finishing my first HD productions for both DVD and blu-ray and have been color correcting with these setting... but Im not sure - if they will work for both ntsc and blu-ray.

How are others doing this?
Does this make sense that the panasonic uses full contrast... when running apples monitor calibration program with the lines?

Thanks.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #165
Major Player

720/50p or 60p Question

Does anyone know what happens to the MPEG GOP length when the EX1 is set to 720/50P? On any of the other formats, the GOP length is allegedly about 15 frames, which means there is an I-frame every half second or so. On 50P or 60P, is the GOP length still 15 frames giving an I-frame every quarter second, or does the GOP lengthen to around 30 frames?

Reason for my question is that the I-frame uses most of the bit budget with (depending on the type of scene) not much going on the 'difference only' P and B frames. If I shoot 50P and bin every other frame in post, am I effectively halving the recording data rate to 17.5 Mb/S or is it somewhere between that and the 35 Mb/S I would be using if I recorded 25P?

Cheers,

Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds