When would I want to choose to NOT shoot in 1080, and go for 720 instead? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM   #16
Major Player

"Why would I want to shoot at 720?"

One good reason is if like me your footage is not destined for TV's, but for computer screens. 720p is plenty of res for me, it allows me to produce nice quality web based footage as well as being able to supply good HD footage should a client want something for delivery on a TV at a later date.

I'm getting my first HDTV on Saturday, I can't wait to see how much better it looks than our 8 yr old CRT. That might be the thing that swings me over to 1080!

My next problem will be figuring out the best way to get my own footage on to it, although I'm sure that's covered in plenty of threads here.
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Mixing 1080p and 720p?

So, the message seems to be 1080p is the way to go for most applications if you are going for the best looking picture (yes, I am simplifying here). My question is what if you want to overcrank and are forced to shoot in 720p but you shoot the rest of your project/film in 1080p? What issues will this raise in post? Will there be noticeable differences when inter-cutting this footage? Would this be a place for up-rezzing? This thread has been quite interesting to follow, thanks all.

Dave
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elkins View Post
Would this be a place for up-rezzing?
I would think most certainly, no? Would it not be important to have all your footage conform to the same resolution?

(I'm not answering with questions, I'm actually asking as a follow-up.)
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #19
Trustee

No big deal, up-rez your 720P shots for slo-mo. 720P off of the EX1 is excellent.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds