Snow Sledding & Basketball footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Snow Sledding & Basketball footage

I received my EX1 last week and took the opportunity this weekend to shoot my son's basketball game and some sledding we did over New Years. The basketball footage was in a moderately lit gym, gain was set to +3 to obtain a larger f-stop for greater depth of field (I could have shot at -3). I own two canon xh-a1's and have shot in this gym before. They required at least 6 db of gain and were at least a full stop slower at that. I shot the footage in 720p60 just because I wanted to test some SD down conversion and also some slow motion in post. No picture profiles were enable on any of the footage. Used ATW for white balance, everything else I believe was camera defaults.

All the footage are in XDCAM .mov quicktime format (MAC) from using the XDCam Transfer tool, I didn't save the raw mp4's. Still debating on that for workflow. Whether to transfer using the viewer, then converting with the plugin, or just using the transfer tool. The basketball footage was shot on a tripod the snow footage was handheld. For those wondering about handheld, I shot about 1 hr. per day on the sledding footage. First day of sledding was blue sky and sunny, second day was overcast.

Again nothing really special about the footage, just showing a couple of things I haven't seen posted. The sledding footage includes some quick pans for those worried about rolling shutter.

Anyway, check it out.

Basketball 720p60 228MB
Sledding Sunny 720p60 38MB
Sledding Overcast 720p60 58MB
John Hamlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

hi John,

do you know what I need in addition to quicktime to play the clips? all i get is sound.

thanks
Larry Silverberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the same problem.

Tried Quicktime, Quicktime alternative, Zoomplayer and VLC.
Nothing :(

regards Dennis
Dennis Schmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Downloading now. Keep in mind that although wrapped in Quicktime .mov one probably needs to have the Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 XDCAM codec also to play these (which I do have so I'll test).

This means that archival of such FCP XDCAM mov files are not "universally" transferable. I have a hunch it might be better to archive original media off the SxS cards since this would mean anyone with Sony's free Clip Browser which is PC and Intel Mac compatible but not PPC Mac compatible, would be able to view the files. I've also noted that VLC but not Quicktime can play the .mp4 files that come from the SxS cards.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Basketball clip plays fine on my system so others may need FCP 6.0.2 XDCAM codec to play in addition to Quicktime.

I noticed my Dual 2.3 G5 couldn't play every frame of the 60fps source with Quicktime. Turning on Play All Frames got about 10fps. Just a comment on the CPU power needed to play such a clip.

Clips play just fine in FCP though as I have been editing my own.

I'm guessing you have shutter off (as I have in most of my p60 tests). I can see where going to a higher shutter speed would reduce the motion blur in slo-mos. That would of course mean throwing more light on somehow.

Thanks for posting the clips!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

These will require the XDCAM codec to play correctly, they are directly from the camera using XDCam transfer software. The shutter was 60, I have played with higher with good results. Seems like 125+ for best results. I will make some pc viewable versions tonight.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
This means that archival of such FCP XDCAM mov files are not "universally" transferable. I have a hunch it might be better to archive original media off the SxS cards since this would mean anyone with Sony's free Clip Browser which is PC and Intel Mac compatible but not PPC Mac compatible, would be able to view the files. I've also noted that VLC but not Quicktime can play the .mp4 files that come from the SxS cards.
I debated this myself. Benefits of keeping the mp4's using the viewer vs. just XDCAM transfer. I just don't like the double hit time wise using the viewer. You have to transfer the files then use the plugin import. Faster to just use XDCAM transfer. So what are the real benefits of keeping mp4's ?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That's really strange.
I can play Xdcam EX files in .mp4 or .mxf container with VLC without any problems.

mhh...

regards Dennis
Dennis Schmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Inner Circle

When you say "viewer" I assume you mean Sony Clip Browser?

What one choses may well depend on workflow. I've found dragging the BPAV to the desktop fastest when using USB. I haven't tried with Clip Browser yet but I will.

Using Sony XFER tool is slower than dragging the BPAV folder to the desktop.

If you're going straight into FCP than using Sony XFER tool makes sense. If you just want to get the clips off the card and clean it for editing at a later date, dragging or maybe Clip Browser would be faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hamlik View Post
I debated this myself. Benefits of keeping the mp4's using the viewer vs. just XDCAM transfer. I just don't like the double hit time wise using the viewer. You have to transfer the files then use the plugin import. Faster to just use XDCAM transfer. So what are the real benefits of keeping mp4's ?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Dennis do you have Final Cut Pro with XDCAM codec or another NLE with XDCAM codec?

VLC plays the source .mp4 just fine but I have FCP with XDCAM codec on both my Macs.

Keep in mind the files posted here were converted on an FCP system so the MOVs may require the FCP's XDCAM specifically.

Try the files John uploaded and do post back as well as any info about your system/NLE (which may impact the codecs you have installed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schmitz View Post
That's really strange.
I can play Xdcam EX files in .mp4 or .mxf container with VLC without any problems.

mhh...

regards Dennis
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I will test the drag and drop method to see what speed difference is. I use my macbook pro to download the footage then I transfer via gig ethernet to my desktop. Using the XDCAM transfer tool on the laptop I get 4x realtime.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Express slot on MacBookPro using XDCAM transfer tool at 4X?
Some are reporting about 10x. I suspect that's drag and drop method of the folder from the card (keeps the file integrity). Can you check that?

I know from my own tests with USB (I don't have MacBookPro yet) I can get as much as 4x drag and drop and 1.5 to 2x using XDCAM transfer too. The Transfer tool's wrapping the mp4 to mov really seems to slow things down.

It's a must when you're ready to edit but when you just need to get stuff off the card for shooting, drag and drop seems much faster.

I wonder how using the Clip Browser impacts speed coming from the SxS card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hamlik View Post
I will test the drag and drop method to see what speed difference is. I use my macbook pro to download the footage then I transfer via gig ethernet to my desktop. Using the XDCAM transfer tool on the laptop I get 4x realtime.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds