Clips spanning two cards??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 7th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Clips spanning two cards???

I have a twenty minute continuous clip that spans two cards.

My question is....how do you import this clip for editing?

I am using the XD Cam Transfer software and the Sony SXS Card reader...but since the card reader can only access one card at a time it will not import this clip.

Anyone have experience with this problem?

Workflow ideas on this one?

Thanks!!!
Paul
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

It's been discussed here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=111720
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Use the camera as the reader via USB and you can mount both cards at the same time - but please see the other thread.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry about not searching first.
I thought I had lost some footage, and panicked and posted before looking.

I think I have figured out a good workflow now for mac users.
1) make sure all your memory cards have a unique name (P1, P2, etc.)
2) when finished shooting, mount each card, either with the camera via usb or with the memory card reader, and then copy the entire card to a hard drive. You option drag the memory card icon to the hard drive otherwise it wants to just make an alias. So, if your card was named P1, you want to end up with a folder on your hard drive called P1. Do this with each card from your shoot.
3) Now do to the XDCam Transfer program. In the lower left, click the "add" button and add each card that you just copied to your hard drive (P1, P2, etc). You have to click add for each one.
4) Now, once you have all your cards added to the XDCam Transfer, you can select all and hit import.

This workflow give the XDCam Transfer software access to all the cards at once, so if a clip spans two or more cards, then it is able to import them with no problems.

With this workflow you end up with two copies of everything, but this can be a good thing since we are tapeless now. I plan on copying my cards to one drive and then doing the XDCam Transfer to a second drive. This way all my data is protected if a drive fails.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds