low light and noise - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Gain +6dB???
Gain is to be used only in case of live murders, accidents and explosions footages to be sold to CNN !!!

GAIN IS DEVIL!
Giovanni Speranza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #17
Major Player

My advice / opinion : don't get paranoid about gain.

If you need to use it, use it. Manage it carefully, in conjunction with aperture and appropriate shutter speed (consider dropping shutter speed first) and it'll be fine.

In the end, its all about content rather than obsessing with a magnifying glass that you can see a small amount of image noise. Forget that, concentrate on content & your technique, image composition etc.

Finally, there are well-regarded and easily available noise-reduction software that are inexpensive and work well and you can use these to reduce image noise if its absolutely still a prob.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni Speranza View Post
Gain +6dB???
Gain is to be used only in case of live murders, accidents and explosions footages to be sold to CNN !!!

GAIN IS DEVIL!
Remember, the client only sees the shot, not the noise and other minor issues professionals lie awake at night worrying about!
Old January 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Steven, can I ask what some of your settings are? Your blacks look amazing and mine are much more "greyish". Any cine?

- Ray
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #20
Trustee

Raymond, I actually posted my settings with the original post. Here it is again:

EX1 Low light frame grab
1920x1080 24P
0dB

PP:

HiSat
Cine3
Detail at -15, Freq = +5

If there are others, I'll update this post. I believe I adjusted Black to with the Cine3. I'll let you know.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hm, than it seems theres quite a jump between Cine3 and Cine4. So no changes to the two different black settings (cant remember the exact terminology on the EX1)?

- Ray

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds