EX1 IS noisy! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Before we close, let me just say that there will be better options available in about five to ten years. Might be best to wait until NAB 2018 to see what comes out before buying anything.

I'm serious! :-)
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #17
Major Player

One aspect that is really understated about noise is that much of the noise we see on the footage is most of the time the results of the Monitors we see the footage in.

My Samsung 22 inch adds lots of noise to my HVX footage. However, watching the same footage on a JVC PROFESSIONAL HDCRT 17", with much better contrast ratio, the noise practicaly zero. Why? Because these consumer monitors nowhere resolve gradient color and black detail as these cameras can capture.

This is, however, also the reality of HDTV's- they are crap LCD's or Plasmas with poor contrast ratios and color configurated to dinamic settings that boost signals beyond legal parameters.
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:53 AM   #18
Regular Crew

No, let's close the topic because Giovanni is involved in mass debating
Old January 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #19
Major Player

From what I have seen of the EX1 Picture. Its pretty spectacular. I wonder how the resolution would compare with 16mm film?

I prefer the look of film but this camera is an amazing tool especially if you want to learn how to use a film camera but without the costs of film and equipment. As for broadcast quality. XDCAMS are already used for HD productions.
Old January 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Happy to oblige -- thread firmly closed,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds