Capture mode for PAL & NTSC DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 17th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Capture mode for PAL & NTSC DVD

I'm going to produce and instructional DVD and plan to use my EX1 to shoot it. The DVD may need to be produced in both PAL and NTSC versions. The majority produced will be for the PAL region however.

What would be the best mode to shoot in given this requirement? I'd obviously like the DVD's to be viewable on as many players as possible.

Do I need to shoot interlaced for this media or will progressive be okay?

Thanks

Paul.
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #2
Trustee

I just checked,in Vegas,i pulled some PAL footage into the timeline(rendered yesterday as DVD PAL) and had the choice to render as NTSC if i wanted.Also Sony DVD Architec can render as NTSC.
I would of thought that whatever your editing with can do the same.

PS What is the DVD you're making ?
Paul.
I shot the above footage,some in interlaced and some in progressive because there was some slomo stuff.

Last edited by Paul Kellett; January 17th, 2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Forgot info
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Paul.

I guess what I should have asked was which format would convert to both formats with the best quality. I understand that footage can be exported as either format, but I'm assuming that 1080/50i or 720/50p would be better than 25p for instance, but which of those two would be recommended for export to DV PAL & NTSC?

The DVD I'm making is archery related, it will cover various aspects from equipment setup to technique.

regards

paul.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Trustee

Archery as in fast moving subjects ? Interlaced then surely !
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Well I'm not sure, 1080/50i would be better than 25p for capturing motion but 720/50p will capture as much if not more detail in fast moving objects than 50i. But as the delivery media will be DVD is there a requirement to shoot interlaced?
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Trustee

No not at all,i've threw interlaced,progressive,1080,720,slomo,fastmo,interval recording,all together on the same timeline,rendered it and burnt to dvd,it looked fine.
Paul.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds