Intensity Pro Card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 26th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Tourist

Intensity Pro Card

I see from BlackMagic's website that the intensity pro card supports HD resolutions of 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 720p50 and 720p59.94.

Does this mean that the Intensity Pro doesn't support footage shot with an EX1 at 1080 30p?

I would mainly by getting the card to monitor to a flatscreen via HDMI and also monitor to a NTSC CRT in SD.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Major Player

I am very curious too, as I am putting together a new Mac and want a card for monitoring HD signals (even if on a SD CRT).
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Trustee

No problem, the EX1 SDI is 1080i 59.94 with the progressive embedded with a 3:2 pulldown (24P). Sorry I just read your message again, I see you wrote 30P.
I imagine there would be no issue with this too, although I have not tried 30P.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Steven, do you actually have the Intensity Pro card? I figured it'd work in that way and since its so cheap compared with a Kona card and I really am just looking for component or HDMI monitoring, this could be the ticket.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
No problem, the EX1 SDI is 1080i 59.94 with the progressive embedded with a 3:2 pulldown (24P). Sorry I just read your message again, I see you wrote 30P.
I imagine there would be no issue with this too, although I have not tried 30P.
Are you sure? I thought the HD_SDI was SMPTE standard as shot. IE 1080x30p full 10 bit 4:2:2. Are you saying it isn't?
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Actually yes, you are correct, but... since the Intensity Pro card has HDMI inputs, I guess I was assuming you might be using a converter box such as the BM HDLINK. I don't have the Intensity Pro "yet", but in this case pulldown would be used over the 1080i 59.94. I own the BM HDLINK.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi Andrew,

I too have just switched from HDV to XDCAM EX. I used the blackmagic intensity card to do timeline monitoring when editing 1080i HDV. But now I want to work, and edit, in 1080p, especially 24p and 30p. The blackmagic card will only let you monitor 1080i or 720p. It would not be so bad if it was only a monitoring restriction, but it forces your project be edited in one of their more restrictive codec presets as well.

Does anyone know if the SDI Decklink would have 1080p edit and monitoring?

Does anyone have experience with the Aja Kona cards in this regard -do you get 1080p and good editing codecs to choose from with their LHe card?

I've almost completed building my edit system (8-core mac with final cut pro) but I have not yet figured out how to do timeline monitoring to my HDTV system. My preference would be to go straight HDMI. It will be expensive to go SDI and then convert to HDMI just for monitoring.

...Lou
Louis Nel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

The Intensity is not going to work with 30P material.... yet that is....

There's going to be several camera's showing this year with 30P capabilities,
this is native 30P not embedded... Like the Canon HV30 has native 30P...

It will just be a matter of time before the black magic folks will have a new software/firmware upgrade to handle 30P...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #9
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
I am very curious too, as I am putting together a new Mac and want a card for monitoring HD signals (even if on a SD CRT).
The question for monitoring is -- if one has a 1920x1080p24 Timeline, will the card ADD 3-2 pulldown?

Or, maybe the question is: does FCP 6.0.2 add 3-2 pulldown when it plays a p24 timeline or does it assume that's the job of the output card?

If FCP adds pulldown, then it doesn't matter if the card doesn't.

If FCP doesn't -- then I wonder how FCP plays a p24 to your laptop screen or a Cinema display?

Does it just output 24fps? Does it output at 48fps? And in either case -- how does the output match the timeline frame rate to the LCD frame rate which I think is always 60Hz?

And, if it doesn't -- which cards do add 2-3 pulldown? The BM docs say nothing!
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Major Player

Capture via Component

Has anyone tried to capture via a computer that has a BM Intensity Pro card ? Cineform NeoHD can be used to remove pulldown too..
Just wondering what the quality is via component..
Using HDlink to convert SDI to HDMI is also an option..But I already have the Intensity Pro so it would be better for me to use that...
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds