Weird problems with image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 26th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Weird problems with image

I shot some footage a couple of days ago just as a test and have noticed the following problems:

The obvious light flickering, which if you look closely is across the whole picture, although not as noticeable as in the original footage. The cars seem to have a strobing effect and the image is rapidly going in and out of focus (more noticeable when looking at the building on the right in the long shot.

I also note the motion blur on the cars don’t seem right.

It was shot in PAL, 35 mbps (VBR), 25p, 1920 x 1080. The shutter was set to 1/50, can’t remember what the iris was set too but I think around f/4 but could be less, gain was set to -3 and manual white balance. Not sure whether auto or manual focus.

Link to compressed footage.
(FYI, It’s download: 2.2.mov)

Link to original footage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Simon
Simon Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Major Player

The compressed footage looks very strange Simon, Does the original show the pulsating effect on the tree's etc too?

I looks like a compression artifact to me, but I really don't know how the camera could be made to do something like that. My guess would be that you have some kind of fault there if the uncompressed footage looks the same.

Could you post a shorter clip of the original footage - 525Mb is a lot to dl.
Old January 26th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Trustee

Very strange!
It can't be anything like auto exposure since it does not react that fast (as it should not) and it appears that only the horizon and above flickered. I have never seen this with my EX1.

Have you seen this on any other footage you shot?
I wonder if the auto knee was being weird? This may explain it. Were you using a standard gamma? With cine gammas this is fixed.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #4
New Boot

Hello!

I think, it is the auto focus.
If you look at around 1 minute you can see it switching between the cars and the trees.

Your car has a nice sound!!!

Kind regards,
Uwe
Uwe Boettcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Guys,

[Paul]
The uncompressed footage (original) exhibits the same problems. The original footage is the BPAV folder so I don't think I can make it shorter, or can I?

[Steven]
The settings changed in picture profile were: High SAT, Detail Off, CINE 4, Black -3, Black Gamma -2. All the rest were set to default, although Knee was grayed out.

Manual Focus Assist and Steady Shot were both set to OFF.

As for some of the footage I’ve shot, I’m not overly impressed with the quality. I don’t know if this is down to this specific camera though.

I had a check through some other test footage and noticed the same but with artificial lighting, please click here.

[Uwe]
I was charging up the battery after not using it for the last four months. :)

Regards,

Simon

Last edited by Simon Frances; January 28th, 2008 at 05:25 AM.
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #6
New Boot

Hello Simon!

Did you do a manual focus test?

At the end of your clip i think, the focus is on the branches of the tree. So the building ist not sharp!

Uwe
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Uwe,

I've tried both manual and auto, however I would like to be able to work in auto focus should I want to. I used to have a Canon A1 prior to this and got better results both with the auto focus and the picture quality. Then again it could just be my camera.
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi Simon!

The auto focus is really not as good, as it should be. No comparison to the Z1.

I think you are right and the EX1 is flawed!

Kind regards,
Uwe
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Please also note, the links in the other posts are no longer active, as I've been having problems with my hosting. I've now changed my hosting company and here are the new links: Test clip 1. and the compressed clip, Test clip 2.

Thanks,

Simon

Last edited by Simon Frances; January 29th, 2008 at 05:11 AM.
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #10
Major Player

There's an insane amount of sharpening and ringing around the edges of everything this could be 'eating' into the branches and creating a pulsing effect - in other words the effect is a post effect, either in camera electronics or in your workflow.

Does all your footage look like this? Can you shoot some more and compare?

paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
There's an insane amount of sharpening and ringing around the edges of everything this could be 'eating' into the branches and creating a pulsing effect - in other words the effect is a post effect, either in camera electronics or in your workflow.
Hi Paul,

I've been so focused on the light flickering, that I didn't realize the sharpening. I do know it’s not a post issue though, as it’s the same on the original footage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Does all your footage look like this? Can you shoot some more and compare?
I’ve only noticed this effect on occasions; I THINK it seems to be brought on when there is some kind of prominent light source, be it natural or artificial, as per the footage.

Can anyone else see whether their camera is exhibiting these issues, under similar conditions or otherwise?

It would be interesting to also include using auto focus.

Thanks in advance,

Simon
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I recently shot with the camera in similar conditions, and didn't noticed anything like this. You mentioned the knee settings were grayed out, is it possible you were on auto-knee? The rest of the image seems to remain stable, however the sky is flickering. My guess is the subject matter was "fooling" the auto-knee much like an autofocus system can fluctuate in very low contrast situations, causing it to jump between extremes. Just a thought, but it looks to me like at the high point of the flickering is that the sky is blooming around the branches.
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds