Vignette & Backfocus Issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vignette & Backfocus Issues

Is this really a ligit problem with this camera, or is this a downplay from some other manufacture. I sometimes wonder. There has been so much talk about these 2 issues, I am almost afraid to purchase this camera for fear of having to return the unit the day I recieve it. Are there any particular serial numbers I should watch for IF or when I ever purchase this cam. Maybe I should wait a year or two so the bad batch can get out of circulation. I love the possibilities with this camera, it's just that I don't think an $7,000 camera should have these kinds of problems IF they are truly problems.

Joel
Joel Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I bought an EX! and it had the vignette issue. I sent it in for re alignment and it came back doing the same thing. My camera displays the problem at the very end of the tele zoom. I have been trying to work with my dealer to figure out what to do.

Check out this clip I shot a couple of days ago

http://blip.tv/file/619918?filename=...estClip536.mov

I am trying to find out if people have EX1s that show absolutely no signs of vignetting through out the zoom range but I have not heard back from anyone confirming this.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Trustee

Charles, did you get a chance to look at my video I sent you earlier?
Also, would that example be as bad with the OIS OFF. I realize the
OIS makes it move around, but I'm wondering if it would be OK with the
OIS OFF?
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Brooks View Post
Is this really a ligit problem with this camera, or is this a downplay from some other manufacture. I sometimes wonder. There has been so much talk about these 2 issues, I am almost afraid to purchase this camera for fear of having to return the unit the day I recieve it. Are there any particular serial numbers I should watch for IF or when I ever purchase this cam. Maybe I should wait a year or two so the bad batch can get out of circulation. I love the possibilities with this camera, it's just that I don't think an $7,000 camera should have these kinds of problems IF they are truly problems.

Joel
Joel, so far, my camera is the only one to exhibit a focus-tracking problem that cannot be resolved by executing the backfocus routine. Either that, or I'm just being too critical (which I don't believe to the the case). Hopefully, someone will test their EX1 under the conditions I posted on page 3 of the "Backfocus problems" thread and let me know if this is inherent or an anomaly. It should only take 5 minutes to verify.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Major Player

I've been reading around abit and obvioulsy many are using the EX1 now, but am i to understand noone has a camera that is free from 'faults' ? If so this is terrible, I now have the money to buy one but i feel like i'd almost be certain that i'd have to send it back which according to many other users wont do much if not make it worse. Is there really no EX1 cams that work as they should?
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Major Player

I decided to do a test for the vignetting issue today. I filmed a white wall and stepped through the zoom. When I saw the footage on my Vegas timeline I could see vignetting at most of the range to some degree. Although most noticeable between Ten and Fifteen. Pretty scary as I had vignetting on all corners. When I rendered some footage I noticed the vignetting was only a small amount now in one corner. And at between 10 and fifteen. Im wondering if this is because in Vegas Im seeing all the area and when rendered only the safe area is visible? Is the picture being cropped?

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.as...140&CID=160646

Also I made a short film using my zeiss 16mm mark1 superspeed 50mm with the PL Mount adapter. Although I have to zoom in more I like the look of the zeiss lens! Although this has been heavily colour corrected. But the picture uncorrected seems much better than my 35mm pentax 1.7 50mm lens at least

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.as...727&CID=160620

EDIT
I should have mentioned the film was made using the Letus extreme!

Last edited by Mark David Williams; January 27th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Charles I have not found any problem yet with one month of shooting. Ordering a second EX1 tomorrow and hope it works out as well.

Shooting water skiing looks fun.
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Trustee

Mark your links are no good.

The EX1 has vingnetting issues... That's all there is to it.

I have only heard of one poster that did not see anything between 8-25mm. Make that two..LOL, Paul Cronin ;)

Also, if using the OIS, on some cameras at full zoom, the vignette tends to spread out on the corners. It's not as obvious, but with OIS you can see it move around.

Some cameras are better than others. My first camera was bad, and Sony's adjustment did not help much. I believe the specs are just to tight for this lens. Some EX1 lenses are better than others when it comes to this adjustment. It makes me wonder if the quality control for specs need to be tighter when Sony receive's these lenses. I don't believe it's an adjustment issue, although it's possible. I believe the margin between the Sony's sensors and lense optical axis are just to tight.

My current camera has less than half the perceived vignette (8-25mm) and is only concentrated in the top two corners (greatest on my cam at 15mm). At full zoom, IMO it looks OK. I'm actually happy with it! It's not all that noticeable.

All in all, I think this is one heck of a camera! I think Sony did a great job overall. If this possible issue scares you, I can understand. I would try to work something out with your dealer beforehand.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
I have only heard of one poster that did not see anything between 8-25mm. Make that two..LOL, Paul Cronin ;)
Make that three.

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Steve

I just finished shooting the Kitesurfing event and just tried to look at the Ex1-A1 comparison. I got a big ? mark over the Q for QT so I have not been able to view.

My vignette seems to only appear at the tele end of the zoom, at least that is where it is most obvious. It is definitely way worse with OIS. I actually use OIS when shooting on sticks sometimes. When shooting in 20=30 knots of wind it seems to help some of the subtle vibration I have do deal with.

Paul glad to hear it is possible for the lens to work as it should.
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Make that 4!
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Graeme

So that 4 is a confirmation that you have no vignette issues at any point in the zoom?

This would be great news!
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Make it 5 :-)

regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #14
Major Player

Yes Charles - no problems at all. Just shot some full telephoto blue sky and can't see it. Likewise, the 10 -25 region is now perfect on my camera. I am very happy. The footage looks absolutely stunning on HDTV.
Old January 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #15
Trustee

Make that 6 !!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds