Filters with your EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 1st, 2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

B+W slim polarizer fits under the hood

I use a B+W slim polarizer with my EX1. It fits well under the hood. You can't easily rotate the filter with the hood on, but it's not much effort to reattach the hood.
Clark
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I own and use the Schneider Optics (B+W)
ND 0.6 77mm Graduated
ND 0.6 77mm Solid
Polarizer Multi coated (no big deal with hood on/off)
UV haze
Clear glass
And all are great filters.
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:47 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
We do manufacture a 102mm polarizer. Our stock code is 68-013002. List price is $350.00 but dealers will sell it for less. I doubt any of the sponsor dealers will have this in stock but you can order it from them at a good price and then we will ship it out. The only catch with this polarizer is that we had to make it for both our tele-converters and our wide angles that take the same thread. Therefore, we had to keep the ring thickness in mind to avoid vignette on the wide angle. This meant that we had to make the polarizer without a rotating element. The polarizer is still perfectly useable. We made the threads much deeper than normal and thus you can thread it in and rotate it by screwing the filter on and off. Considering most polarization requires a 1/2 turn at most, this is not a major issue and I have never heard of a user screwing it off completely.

This polarizer is made with our Tru-Pol technology that is 12 times more effective than the best polarizer from any other brand. It features an extinction ratio of 374 vs other brands that top out around 32. This means that you can more effectively polarize the light at any angle from the light source instead of a very limited range. This creates better color saturation and reduction of highlights and reflections at almost any angle where with other polarizers you have to be mindful of the angle of the light source to your optical axis.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
To be honest not rotating is not ideal. I will worry about it vibrating in the wind. Its an expensive part.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM   #19
Tourist

77 mm UV filter on with supplied matt Box?

The Matt box that comes with the camera prevents putting a UV protection 77 mm filter on.
Any clues how to solve this?
Looks like I have to buy a Matt Box, any recommendations?
Sony should have provided a better designed Matt Box that is more deeper.

Thanks
Peter
Peter Hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I'm quite annoyed that the hood makes it impossible to use a polarizer.
Now I have to buy a shade as well and the ones that I've seen available are nowhere near as good as the shade in the camera. On the HVX you can still turn a polarizer with the hood on. Just another example of not consulting real camerapeople when they design these things.
This is the same annoyance I had with the FX1. Bought the Sony filter pack only to find you can only use one filter at a time and then the hood makes them inaccessible for rotation. THIS TIME I GOT A MATTE BOX! I really believe, as much as I hate the extra cost and throwing the EX1's hood away that you really do need a matte box. CaVision with moderate set of filters about $900. Rails $200 extra but its a light box and I don't think rails are needed.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Chrosziel mattbox - secret - 2nd rotating filter holder!

I just got Chrosziel's mattbox for the EX1 along with Zacuto's rail system. I have figured out how to get an extra rotating filter holder out of the 2 stage - 1 fixed and 1 rotating 4x4 holder. The SECRET - the step down ring can hold a 82mm pola - with 2 strips of gaffers tape around it - so it sits snug in the ring. Also, the ring has a small bevel, so once it is screwed into the mattbox - it is secure, all you need to do is unscrew 45-90% to adjust the pola.

In front of that I have my normal .6 ND grad that I can rotate plus a 3rd fixed stage. It's a bit expensive - but it looks and works great!
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Peter not true if you get the right filter B+W 77 mm UV 010 it works fine. Also if you want clear glass get the b+W 77 mm 007 which also works fine with the stock lens hood. So if you want to go this way you can.

But a Matte Box will offer a lot more options.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Peter not true if you get the right filter B+W 77 mm UV 010 it works fine. Also if you want clear glass get the b+W 77 mm 007 which also works fine with the stock lens hood. So if you want to go this way you can.

But a Matte Box will offer a lot more options.
This is true. I have the B+W UV/Haze slim filter and it fits under the EX1's bayonet for the standard hood and a matte box that uses the same fitting.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #24
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
To be honest not rotating is not ideal. I will worry about it vibrating in the wind. Its an expensive part.
I yet to see one vibrate in the wind. You are only talking about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the Polarizer. Trust me we would prefer to have it rotate but the ring heigth doesn't allow this at the cost we needed to hit for marketability.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #25
Major Player

I feel no need to upgrade from the Formatt 500 mattebox, I really only put ND grads in front, but it does have a rotating slot for 4X4 pols. I like how light it is as I fly with a merlin/vest/arm combo a good deal of the time.

see my post in the steadicam forum about the EX1 and merlin for a pic.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...052#post820052
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
We do manufacture a 102mm polarizer. Our stock code is 68-013002. List price is $350.00 but dealers will sell it for less. I doubt any of the sponsor dealers will have this in stock but you can order it from them at a good price and then we will ship it out. The only catch with this polarizer is that we had to make it for both our tele-converters and our wide angles that take the same thread. Therefore, we had to keep the ring thickness in mind to avoid vignette on the wide angle. This meant that we had to make the polarizer without a rotating element. The polarizer is still perfectly useable. We made the threads much deeper than normal and thus you can thread it in and rotate it by screwing the filter on and off. Considering most polarization requires a 1/2 turn at most, this is not a major issue and I have never heard of a user screwing it off completely.
Hi ryan, after being reassured that it wont vibrate in the wind I tried to find one of the 102mm polarizing filters and the only place i could find online is selling them for more than your list price. Any ideas where I can get one for a decent price?

I can't find them on your website either... The only place I found was on a pdf document (http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/...CPO_PL_LOW.pdf) and that says its a rotating filter ;)
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM   #27
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
Hi ryan, after being reassured that it wont vibrate in the wind I tried to find one of the 102mm polarizing filters and the only place i could find online is selling them for more than your list price. Any ideas where I can get one for a decent price?

I can't find them on your website either... The only place I found was on a pdf document (http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/...CPO_PL_LOW.pdf) and that says its a rotating filter ;)
I am working on our website issues with the listing of this filter. It is possible that the place you called was quoting you based on our 2008 pricing which had a moderate price increase. Please call Joe at Abel Cine Tech Los Angeles and he should be able to give you a good price. 2008 List price is $360.00 but Joe should be able to give you a good deal. B&H should also have a good price on this if you check with them. Our stock code is 68-013002.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds