What Zebra Settings are you Using? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Major Player

What Zebra Settings are you Using?

I'm going to start with 75 for skin and 95 for blow-out. What are you guys using?
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Major Player

I find myself only using the histogram. Its very good and isnt as disturbing on the image as the zebras. Especially with Peaking on it can get quite cluttered.

sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

At the moment Zebra1 80% and Zebra2 100%.
I thought setting 2 is fixed at 100%?

regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Major Player

No. Both Zebras are programable
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sami Sanpakkila View Post
I find myself only using the histogram. Its very good and isnt as disturbing on the image as the zebras. Especially with Peaking on it can get quite cluttered.

sami
Interesting Sami. What is your technique? Do you just ajust to get the max dynamic range without clipping?
Old January 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Major Player

I use the histogram a lot as well + 100% zebra to prevent overexposure. I find that the LCD not only is very high res but actually also gives a very accurate indication of exposure; Unlike my old PD150 that looked about the same if you exposed right or underexposed two stops.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Trustee

Generally 70% zebra is used for caucasian skin. You want to just begin to see it appear. In HD though I often drop it down to 65 or even 60. because there is more room to pick it up and it just seems to look nicer to me.

Ola - I am mystified by the histogram. i understand how it works but don't see how it tells you anything except a very general idea of whether your levels are high or low. How do you use it?

lenny levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I don't think both zebras are adjustable. I had that impression from reading about the EX1, but the one in my hands will only let me set zebra 1. Zebra 2 is 100 only.
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:53 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
Interesting Sami. What is your technique? Do you just ajust to get the max dynamic range without clipping?
Yeah, and I agree with Ola that the LCD gives a very accurate indication of exposure.

-EDIT-
I was just on a two day shoot and I remember looking at a white wall and thinking it doesn't look overexposed but extremely near to being so and in the histogram and the LCD it also looked like its just on the verge of overexposing. I decided to trust the histogram and when I got back and looked at it on Vegas preview window it was exactly as I saw it on the shoot. Just on the verge of overexposure but not overexposed.
-EDIT-

Sami

Last edited by Sami Sanpakkila; January 28th, 2008 at 06:55 AM.
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Only one Zebra programable. If you look in status and have both on, 1 will show your setting and 2 will simply be on.

Not sure if 2nd zebra is 100 or 107. I need to check that.

If you're using zebra for clipping rather than subject than keep in mind gamma's setting can impact that. That's the reason Doug Jensen on the Vortex DVD uses 95.

Personally I find setting the zebra at 70 or so for subject too important to ignore. I want to avoid clipping of course but more important is that the subject look good and I may live with a little clipping. For example, if you're shooting into the shadows on a bright day you may have to live with sun/bright clouds clipping so subject doesn't disappear into the shadow.

Ideally I'd like both zebras on but that can get a bit confusing given one zigs right and the other zags left. I wish I could color them or do something else to make them more obviously different.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Possibly a very basic question, but one that I do not understand. What is the value of a potential reading 107% on the center brightness indicator and as a possible setting for the Zebra 1 reading. If some picture information still exists over 100%, what is the nature of this info?

I am having good luck with setting the zebras to 95 and 100, using the center spot for faces, and getting the big picture with the histogram. Also agree that so far the LCD seems trustworthy.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The reason (?) to set zebra 1 high is that it shows a ranges of levels that are 5 points over and 5 points under the actual setting. If you have zebra 1 at 95%, the zebras will show all areas that range from 90 -100%.

I'm not sure what the advantage would be for setting it at 107. I have been told that some data exists above 100%.

Clark
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #13
Major Player

The camera will shoot to 108% without clipping (this may be what is often called super white) but you do not want this unless there really is a strong super illuminated white in the shot. A white cloud on a regular day is probably best recorded at around 95. You want the histogram as wide as possible for the scene but you do not want it to be wider than reality else you will have too much contrast and it will look like amature video. This is my is my take on things - do you guys agree with me?
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi guys,

In terms of digital still photography, there is a great benfit to pushing the histogram way to the right for images that you intend to tweak in post. In that realm, the sensor is recording way more info in the brights than in the darks, and lowering the histogram back down (left) in post results in much cleaner darks. This of course, requires that you know exactly where your boundary is.

Very interesting that the zebra is a 10% range centered on the slected #. Is this a convention in videography?

I wonder if the recorded info above 100% could contain one or more blown channel. If full info is there, that would be beneficial to know.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Michael, have you tested this. I'm finding that's not the case unless I'm overlooking something or maybe describing it differently.

For me, if I want to use BOTH zebras at the same time I can set one only. If you look at the Status page you'll see the number listed for zebra 1 and 2 simply listed as "On."

I also find that if I set the zebra to a number and switch between 1 and 2, that number does not change. It does not seem to store a separate number for 1 and 2 unless I'm doing something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
No. Both Zebras are programable
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds