Field Power from any 12v Battery is OK - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 6th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
Drew,
Which laptop power supplies?
How long do they operate before they need a recharge?
How are you recharging them?
Not sure what you mean, John, I'm not using batteries in this setup, the power supplies run the cameras indefinitely. If taken to the field, batteries are used and charged the OEM way. With this setup, I also had no need to modify (butcher ;-) the OEM charger/adaptor.

I used Edac supplies, obtained through a reseller in UT that I was completely dissatisfied with; I just had to follow up on everything 6 times, and they still messed up the order. The products work fine, though.
Drew Lahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #32
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
A very elegant solution to power either the cam, or some accessories (like a field monitor, light, or the NanoFlash for that matter), is this:

http://www.tekkeon.com/downloads/dtasht_MP3450.pdf

However, with the above battery or with my PAG 100Wh brick, I'm equally at lost:

How to fix them to the tripod?

With all those smaller cams, an underneath cage systems (for batteries, HDD's, and what-not) are available. However, with the EX1? Or the EX1 on a rail system, holding Letus and/or some matte box? A small cage is out of question!

How would you attach a battery like the Tekkeon, or an adapter like PAGlock, to your tripod so that it's elegant, safe, and you're not literally attached yourself by wearing it at your belt?

Any suggestions welcome!
We now offer the Swit Charger TC400 EX1 battery with a D-Tap connector. Fits in EX1 where original battery BP-U60 goes.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Lahat View Post
Not sure what you mean, John, I'm not using batteries in this setup, the power supplies run the cameras indefinitely. If taken to the field, batteries are used and charged the OEM way. With this setup, I also had no need to modify (butcher ;-) the OEM charger/adaptor.

I used Edac supplies, obtained through a reseller in UT that I was completely dissatisfied with; I just had to follow up on everything 6 times, and they still messed up the order. The products work fine, though.
Drew,

I thought you meant internal laptop power supplies that you also used in the field after they were charged. You meant external laptop power supplies with modified plugs for studio use on AC power that were cheaper than the Sony BC-U1 that goes for around $120 each.

You say the EDAC laptop power supplies worked well.

1. Which model?

2. Have you measured the actual output voltage?

Thanks,

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Uh, do they make laptops with internal power supplies anymore?? I haven't seen one in a decade. If they do, let me know, I'm actually on the lookout...

I used Edac EA1060A-57 and ED1050A-120, which supply 15V and 14V respectively, to compensate for the really long cable runs. Upon measuring, the head end voltage was a bit higher than rated, and the cameras got around 14.1V. So I'd recommend 12V and 13V supplies.

Indeed, the Edacs were cheaper than the BC-U1, but the main point was about voltage compensation, and getting from the DC Out wire to the camera. The units are buried in a machine room rack, and the camera now gets one neat cable. Perhaps a couple of photos would clarify: the patch panel is in the machine room, and on the camera you can see the end of a camera cable, which splits into 2 HD-SDI, intercom, tally, and power.
Attached Thumbnails
Field Power from any 12v Battery is OK-patch-panel.png   Field Power from any 12v Battery is OK-camera-mls.png  

Old October 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #35
Major Player

What did you use for your tally light?
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I was on the verge of building one myself, but opted for a Datavideo unit.

Are you still with TNT, Ted? Impressive work.
Old October 7th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #37
Major Player

Yes, all by myself (very lonely here!). Started the company about four years ago - nearly time to update the site with more recent and current jobs. Thanks, though!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds