Removing SxS Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Removing SxS Cards

Okay, so as I understand it you can remove a card when the power is on if it's not the one thats active (green light). While trying to show this feature to a friend I busted out ye ol manual and I can't find this mentioned anywhere. It actually confused things all the more because on page 32 it says:

"Be sure that the ACCESS lamps are lit in green or off when you turn off the power or remove memory cards."

Huh? Lit in green? That would mean that that's the one that is active and as I understand it SHOULDN'T be removed. Now the fact that it mentions removing a card when any light on the camera is on at all implies that you can indeed remove a card when the power is on but it's not very clear on the matter.

So ... am I missing something in the manual? What does it mean that the lamp should be green or off when removing a card? And is the ability to remove the non active card and dump it while continuing to record uninterrupted on the active card mentioned anywhere else?

- Ray
Old January 31st, 2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Major Player

The way I have always understood it works is that you cannot remove a card while the camera is writing or reading from it. That is when it lights red if I remember correctly (I don't have my camera in front of me). You will be safe removing both the card selected for recording/playback (green) and the idle card (no lamp) at any time as long at is not being written to or read from. Right?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Can anyone help reconcile what the book, me, and Ola, are speculating?

- Ray
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
The way I have always understood it works is that you cannot remove a card while the camera is writing or reading from it. That is when it lights red if I remember correctly (I don't have my camera in front of me). You will be safe removing both the card selected for recording/playback (green) and the idle card (no lamp) at any time as long at is not being written to or read from. Right?
Right - I checked it. Only red is a stopper.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds