Banding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 1st, 2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Banding?

I got my EX1 yesterday and took it out for a spin today. I shot some time-lapse footage of clouds against a church steeple. When I got the SxS card out and viewed the footage in the computer, the two time-lapse shots showed significant banding.

The photo attached was produced by importing the clip into Apple Color, but it is an accurate representation of the clip as viewed through FCP and Quicktime. The clip was shot at 720P24, 35 VBR.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this banding found on all clips, or is this an artifact of the high-or-low speed recording?
Attached Thumbnails
Banding?-church_banding.jpg  
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Major Player

I think it was found to be an issue with time lapse - there's another thread discussing it.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 07:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Yes, I saw this problem too using 1 fps with S&Q Motion. Try using the Frame Record function instead, it produces better results at 1 fps.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Having got this great camera there really is absolutely no point whatsoever to shoot 720p nor 24p unless you are printing to film. Try again with 1080x30p. Also choose the right gamma - one that compresses rather than splits to highlights. I have not tried this yet but the examples I've seen of speeded up clouds have been fantastic.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Steven I have had this problem when there is not enough light. With proper exposure it seems to work great.

Michael I agree I use 1080P while shooting time laps and 720p 30/60 for slow motion.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; February 2nd, 2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: correction on timelaps
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
Having got this great camera there really is absolutely no point whatsoever to shoot 720p nor 24p unless you are printing to film. Try again with 1080x30p. Also choose the right gamma - one that compresses rather than splits to highlights. I have not tried this yet but the examples I've seen of speeded up clouds have been fantastic.
I disagree, I prefer to shoot at 720p as it allows me to use overcranking without having to change modes. My output does not need to be 1080p so I do not need the extra resolution.

I also don't think this problem has anything to do with gamma settings, it happens at 1 fps but not 5, so something else is happening here.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
I disagree, I prefer to shoot at 720p as it allows me to use overcranking without having to change modes. My output does not need to be 1080p so I do not need the extra resolution.
I's gonna say-

The reason I was shooting at 720P was 'cuz I could easily overcrank it. I bought the EX1 because of the native 1080P but am finding that the other advantages of the camera are so amazing that I'm getting my money's worth at 720P!

I'm at the beginning of the experimentation stage with this camera and have a long way to go before I find the right look. But- it's disconcerting to discover that one of the coolest things about the camera produces such horrible artifacts.

Am I hearing that the banding disappears at slightly higher frame rates?
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds