Back Focus Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #1
New Boot

Back Focus Problem

I have tested two EX1s from a Sony dealer and both seem to have a back focus problem in full manual. If you zoom in and focus on a subject about 20 feet away as you slowly zoom out the focus shifts to the background of the shot from about 25mm to 15mm and the subject you focused on is soft. This with everything set to manual. I tried the back focus function in the service menu but it had no effect. Has any one else got back focus problems?
Tony Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM   #2
Trustee

No issues here..
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried this test. As I zoom out the DOF increases so that the center of focus is indistiguishable. How do you do this test exactly.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brennan View Post
I have tested two EX1s from a Sony dealer and both seem to have a back focus problem in full manual. If you zoom in and focus on a subject about 20 feet away as you slowly zoom out the focus shifts to the background of the shot from about 25mm to 15mm and the subject you focused on is soft. This with everything set to manual. I tried the back focus function in the service menu but it had no effect. Has any one else got back focus problems?
My focus issues were somewhat different but possibly related. Disregard the cadence mismatch Vimeo seemed to introduce and view at native scale.

http://www.vimeo.com/642741

A solution is in the works, and this anomaly appears to be quite rare.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds