EX-1 active outputs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX-1 active outputs

During my time testing the EX, one thing I didn't have time to cover was whether or not multiple video outputs can be active at once. For example on the HVX the component and composite outputs cannot be active at the same time. Can anyone with a camera investigate this? I'd love to have HD-SDI and composite at the same time, or even better component as well.

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #2
New Boot

I have the same problem...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112955
Hakan Haraldsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Trustee

Sean, I've hooked up my Dell monitor via SDI and component off of the EX1. I was able to switch inputs on the monitor. Both signals are on, granted I did not check if they were actually on at the very same time. But, based on both electrical connections were hooked up and the signals were present when switched on the monitor, I believe it works.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

SDI and HD component work at the same time. I've used both together on a shoot feeding a DVCPro Deck and monitoring via component. I know that you can't have SDI and firewire use at the same time. Maybe firewire and HD component works together at the same time but I haven't tried that combo yet.
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Jansen View Post
SDI and HD component work at the same time. I've used both together on a shoot feeding a DVCPro Deck and monitoring via component. I know that you can't have SDI and firewire use at the same time. Maybe firewire and HD component works together at the same time but I haven't tried that combo yet.
I don't have a unit to test on, but I asked a Sony SSE this very thing. That was before the camera shipped though.

Don't consider my answer as definitive- just use it as a guide for testing.

HD outputs work at the same time. So component and HD SDI will work.

XDCAM HQ does not output over firewire.

XDCAM SP (aka HDV mode) only outputs via firewire and one other HD output. (I think that its selectable component or SDI. Might be SDI, i.e. "all digital" only.)

If the camera is set to output SD, then you get (composite and component) or (SD SDI.) No firewire.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Alexander Ibrahim; February 6th, 2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Add conditional statement
Alexander Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Ibrahim View Post
I don't have a unit to test on, but I asked a Sony SSE this very thing. That was before the camera shipped though.

If the camera is set to output SD, then you get (composite and component) or (SD SDI.) No firewire.

Hope that helps.
This means that SD output from this camera can't be captured through firewire,
for that you need SD SDI or SD analogue component input devise.Am I right?.
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal View Post
This means that SD output from this camera can't be captured through firewire,
for that you need SD SDI or SD analogue component input devise.Am I right?.
Yes that is the case. Again assuming my information is right.

It is a sensible omission.

The firewire output would be DV compressed in any case so there would be absolutely no technical advantage to capturing SD over firewire. Its faster and easier to transfer and convert XDCAM SP or HQ to DV25 from the SxS cards. You also get more data that way.

EDIT: I messed this part up: What I meant here is that you get more data from the live SD outputs of the camera than you would over SD firewire output. This got brought up a couple of posts down.

I think that live SD outputs are really more of a concession to transitional SD to HD houses. Many users buying this camera have to use SD monitors, or scopes.

Last edited by Alexander Ibrahim; February 7th, 2008 at 04:52 AM.
Alexander Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Alexander Ibrahim;821800]
Its faster and easier to transfer and convert XDCAM SP or HQ to DV25 from the SxS cards. You also get more data that way.

Can you explain the process of transferring from SxS card to SD DV?.And what
additional data we get by doing this way other than the firewire capture.

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal View Post
Can you explain the process of transferring from SxS card to SD DV?.And what
additional data we get by doing this way other than the firewire capture.
On transferring to SD from SxS:
Its in the manual. I haven't done it myself. Usually I just drop my HD footage on an SD timeline and let Final Cut convert it at output. Less to think about and I trust Final Cut more.

On more SD data from XDCAM:
You do get more image detail, like you would from an HD footage. You also get uncompressed PCM audio, which is a step up from HDV.

But that isn't what I meant- I mis typed. Or maybe I deleted something.

What I meant is that you will get more data if you capture live from the SD outputs of the camera, which are 4:2:2 color, and 10 bit if you use the SDI output.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds