Alternative to SxS Memory at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Alternative to SxS Memory

I've been looking around and found some interesting products..

DataFab has a memory card similar to Lexar but it seems to be native ExpressCard/34 and not USB as Lexar. The speeds are also faster.

http://www.datafab.com/product/flash...xpress_SSD.asp

They also make a SD/MS adapter for Expresscard.. Would be cool if this would work: http://www.datafab.com/product/flash...ress_SDDuo.asp

Anybody seen this products in a retail store?
Oyvind Stokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have heard (although not officially) that the EX1 will not accept non-Sony cards. Can anybody confirm this?
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #3

well, yes and no.
Yes, the cards it will accept must be sony approved.
No, they don't have to be sony but, they must be sony approved.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi guys, my 2 cents.

I still suspect that most of the 'delay' to the EX1 firmware update is due mainly to the Z7 release. It mostly marketing. I think they have basic cards and a pricing strategy along with the upgrade is sitting in an envelope ready to go. A simple routine that turns one bit on in the camera. Once the z7 is out and the initial batch sold - then they'll release the fireware update for the EX1. Otherwise Z7 sales will be impacted significantly.

My guess is that Sony will release another 'standard' semi-professional card of their own which will cost say a 10-15% premium over other cards but you would be only allowed to record regular video (no overcrank stuff). It may actually talk with the camera to prevent you from making a mistake.

I don't think Sony is wrong for limiting the cards to proven media. Any body buying this camera is doing serious work and can't afford media failures and mishaps with drugstore variety express cards.

You can buy 2 GB of computer RAM for $35 or you can pay $500+ for the same amount - your choice. There is a difference at the end of the day - probabably not 20X as much - but el cheapo ram is trouble.

The same applies to CF cards. For all we know the 16 GB card (SxS) could have another 4 GB cache buffer on the disk of higher quality memory that costs 4X as much. The manufacturing process (soldering, enclosure) would be superior, etc (I'm not opening my 16 GB to find out - ya right) :)

My predication: I don't expect 16 GB SXS pro cards to ever come down to less then $600 for the 16GB. I "do" think that Sony will create another SXS 'daily use' card which will talk to the camera and disallow any setting which overutilizes the card (under/over crank stuff). That card will be $300 bucks maybe. A bit of a premium over a standard 16 GB card which will run maybe $150. At the end of the day I'll bet you'll buy the Sony.

Nutshell - a few months from now I see this happening

Sony 32 GB card $1500 (like P2) - Comes out in fall I think
Sony 32 GB Semi-Pro Card ($1000) - Ditto
Sony 16 GB PRO Card ($600) - Maybe spring (April)
Sony 16 GB Semi-PRO Card ($300) no over crank (April)
Sony 8 GB PRO CARD ($300) (April)
Sony 8 GB Semi-PRO Card ($150) (April)

The TV and Film guys will go for the PRO CARD - the wedding guys will buy the Semi-PRO and a few off the drug store cards for backup.

Also firmware opens up ability to write to any card - at your own risk - so ya you can write to a $75 - 8 GB card.

Hopefully the firmware update will be something we can do ourselves.

I could be totally wrong
Just brainstorming :)
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Or you can buy a Z7, shoot tape as well as store on memory cards that are 1/4 the cost of SxS, and give up the 1/2" chips for 1/3" Exmors and 35 mbs XDCAM format, and get the ability to interchange lenses. Or you can wait for NAB to see what else pops up.
John Markert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Major Player

I don't have an EX but the sony guy was at a meeting at the Videography assoc I belong to as well as pro max, they were going over this camera and I recall they mentioned Sony made the sxs card for this cam and no other card will or should work, this is from Sony, so they would have a lock on the card
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

no wonder the cost of the ex1 is under 7k....
in my opinon the ex1 is above 10k with all the memory cards or field computer to reuse the same 2 cards.

sony is not crazy... need quality? pay!

I have a feelling sony will offer a new HDSDI cover wich every one is loosing quick for $90.00 why not?...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds