1080p 24fps - Overcranking and timelapse Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

1080p 24fps - Overcranking and timelapse Questions

Hi folks,

I'm going to be shooting a short for a small town's chamber of commerce this weekend and I'd like to get a couple takes on the best way to shoot a time lapse as well as overcranking for slo mo.

Shot 1 in question is a timelapse shot. This town is called Los Gatos and there's a big stone cat that I'd like to shoot against the sky for the credits. Stone cat on the right side of the frame, left and middle area of the frame filled with blue sky and clouds rolling by. So this would be my timelapse shot.

Shot 2 would be some overcranked stuff on the main pedestrian area of the downtown area.

Basically just looking for "best practices" from folks who've set up similar shots.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

For the time lapse you've got two options, you can either undercrank (S&Q Motion) to a suitable frame rate (down to 1 fps) or you can use the frame record function and have it take images at a certain rate.

For the cloud time lapse shots I did http://www.vimeo.com/480384 I under cranked to 5/25 fps. Be careful if you go slower though, I have experienced banding in the images at lower framerates.

For slowmo just overcrank, be careful to match the local AC frequency if there's lights on, so for instance O/C up to 60 in a 60hz location and you should be fine. This was done at 50/25 http://www.vimeo.com/480479 (UK is 50hz).

To over crank you'll need to shoot in 720p, just remember that when your deciding what to shoot the rest of your footage in. You'll either have to upscale the 720 to 1080 or downscale the 1080. I just shot everything at 720.

Setting shutter to 180 degrees or off should result in good footage, off will result in more motion blur but be brighter.

Do some tests firsts though!

Paul.
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Paul,

I'm still getting acquainted with the menu, so sorry for the question if it's something obvious, but why wouldn't I be able to overcrank at 1080p?

Thanks very much for your notes, extremely helpful and your shots on Vimeo are lovely.
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Major Player

The EX1 only lets you shoot up to 29.97 fps at 1080.

59.94 at 720.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Baughman View Post
Why wouldn't I be able to overcrank at 1080p?

No probs Jamie.

You can to a point, the camera can only capture at a frame rate of up to 30fps in 1080p. That isn't really enough for decent slow motion, but the lower res of 720p allow you to crank up to 60.

There has been lot of discussion about why the camera can't do 1080p/60, I guess it's just a hardware limitation.
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guy.

Very helpful.

EDIT:: Have either of you experimented with upscaled 720p to 1080p? Just wandering a) what the results looked like (i.e., good/bad) and b) how you did the upscaling.

Thanks again.
Old February 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Trustee

looks great. I mix 720p overcrank with 1080p stuff all the time
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Major Player

Mixing 720p and 1080p fromp the EX1 in FCP looks great. You just have to set your sequence in either 720 or 1080, depending on the result you want.
Then add your footage, it will be automaticaly converted. no other work to do :)
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
Mixing 720p and 1080p fromp the EX1 in FCP looks great. You just have to set your sequence in either 720 or 1080, depending on the result you want.
Then add your footage, it will be automaticaly converted. no other work to do :)
It's really that simple? No need to go through something like Compressor? I've been wondering about the up-rezing workflow as well. Are there any artifacts or other issues?

When you say it looks great, is this just on the monitor, TV or have you seen the result on a large screen (projected)?
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Trustee

using final cut 6 it really is that simple. Mixed timelines. You can have dv, hdv, xdcam, dvcprohd, pro res and uncompressed 10 bit all in the same timeline and it will play no probs!
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
using final cut 6 it really is that simple. Mixed timelines. You can have dv, hdv, xdcam, dvcprohd, pro res and uncompressed 10 bit all in the same timeline and it will play no probs!
That's great! Phil, have you had a chance to see your work with the EX1 projected on a large screen? I am curious to know if you can tell what is native 1080 and what was up-rezed from 720 in a 1080 project on the "big screen".
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #12
Trustee

yeah last week. It all looked pretty good and hard to tell to be honest. It's been graded well to match anyway.
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
yeah last week. It all looked pretty good and hard to tell to be honest. It's been graded well to match anyway.
So someone who wasn't familiar with what was what to begin with wouldn't ever know (unless they were told)? If that's the case, it sounds like having to shoot one's overcranked footage in 720p isn't a big deal in practice at all.
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #14
Trustee

no not really. ideally it would still be 1080 as there is some loss of resolution, but it's not hugely noticeable.
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Major Player

If the lost resolution can be noticed would it give a better result to not mix the time-line but up res the clip first? Or does that introduce its own problems?
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds