HD presentation format at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #1
Major Player

HD presentation format

At our local cinema, they have an HD projector for screenings. I would like to show a piece created with the EX1. My question is how to best convey it.
I have a Sony HDV deck that I can record to and bring there, or I could master the piece on Blu-Ray and get a Blu-Ray deck to take there. I'm wondering which would produce the best picture/sound when projected...images from and HDV deck or images from a Blu_Ray Disc.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Best, Craig
PS I don't have an XDcam deck.
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Craig, Blu-Ray would be great.

Just connect a playstation or standalone player as you suggested

You could push the full 35mbps with BD. Will look great

I assume you are shooting 1080i(60) or 1080p(24)

Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla View Post

I assume you are shooting 1080i(60) or 1080p(24)

Paul
Why do you say this so as to exclude 1080x30p?
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Trustee

If you have Sony Vegas 8.0b, you can burn a 1920x1080 24P right from the timeline to a standard DVD and play it back in a Sony PS3. I believe a standard DVD will hold 30 to 40 minutes, double that for RSDL. It works great! The only thing is Vegas offers no fancy authoring. so no menus. It also will not instant playback without executing the file on the DVD. I would love to see Sony Vegas offer the instant playback in a future upgrade.
Of course you could always bring the Vegas encoded m2v file and audio ac3 file into a Blu-ray authoring program.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
Why do you say this so as to exclude 1080x30p?

Hi Micheal. Correct.
Blu-ray spec doesn't allow 1080@30P (only 24P)

Thanks
Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback View Post
Which would produce the best picture when projected: images from and HDV deck or images from a Blu_Ray Disc?
Neither. Both would be a re-compressed renders of an already-compressed origination format. The best picture would be from a master that compressed little or not at all. My favorite option is to bring a computer with a fast disk array and play from a nearly uncompressed master.

What's the make and model of the projector (and accessories)?
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
Neither. Both would be a re-compressed renders of an already-compressed origination format. The best picture would be from a master that compressed little or not at all. My favorite option is to bring a computer with a fast disk array and play from a nearly uncompressed master.
Not necessarily; as I wrote in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=114431

- computer playback through a graphic card may NOT provide as wide dynamic range and crispness as direct from the camera through component, HDMI (not to mention HD-SDI direct from the imagers, but we're talking already recorded/compressed material here).
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Not necessarily; as I wrote in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=114431

- computer playback through a graphic card may NOT provide as wide dynamic range and crispness as direct from the camera through component, HDMI
Your other thread was about line twitter. The computer master would be truly progressive, not PsF, just like the projector itself, so line twitter would not be a problem.

It depends a lot on the projector model. If it takes DVI, then even a single-link DVI transmits 4:4:4 8-bit RGB 1080p, which is just as much as HDMI 1.0 and better than analog. A dual-link DVI would allow you to do 2K nicely.

Furthermore, DVI allows the use of alternate colorspaces, as the projector may have a wider gamut. (Unfortunately, I don't think there is much software support for this, which may contribute to the high price for digital projection media systems.)

As you said, we're talking about once-compressed material already, which is edited and (probably) color graded. So it would reduce picture quality again to compress it and put it back on the camera (or on bluray or HDV).
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Your other thread was about line twitter. The computer master would be truly progressive, not PsF, just like the projector itself, so line twitter would not be a problem.
Line twitter aside, here is what I also pointed out:

"In fact, playing directly gives not only much more punchy and dynamic picture than using a PC graphics card; it also is much more noise free - no single trace of the mosquito noise!"

One cannot disregard the fact that PC graphic cards are of differing quality, and introduce their own artefacts, as well as generally "filter" the video thus decreasing its dynamic range and crispness.
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Line twitter aside, here is what I also pointed out:

"In fact, playing directly gives not only much more punchy and dynamic picture than using a PC graphics card; it also is much more noise free - no single trace of the mosquito noise!"

One cannot disregard the fact that PC graphic cards are of differing quality, and introduce their own artefacts, as well as generally "filter" the video thus decreasing its dynamic range and crispness.
Sorry; I obviously didn't read your post very carefully. I see what you're saying now.

A computer certainly has the potential to ruin an image, but I've configured several computer/projector setups and had no trouble at all making it sing. If 4:4:4 8-bit looks *worse* than 4:2:0 HDV, the operator is doing something wrong.
Old February 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
PC graphics cards do not do anything to the image unless they are configured to do so. They don't introduce artifacts, filtration, dynamic range compression, or softness. Having set up several computer interfaces with projectors, LCD, and conventional tube HDTV, and comparing a variety of codecs, I can say that your experience does not match my own.
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
PC graphics cards do not do anything to the image unless they are configured to do so. They don't introduce artifacts, filtration, dynamic range compression, or softness. Having set up several computer interfaces with projectors, LCD, and conventional tube HDTV, and comparing a variety of codecs, I can say that your experience does not match my own.
Yes, it looks like our experiences do not match. I have an average ATI graphics card (Radeon X1600XT), and to judge its influence on the source HD material playback, it's enough to:

- watch it straight from the camera, connected via component to the a full HD display
- capture/copy the same clip to the PC, and play back using any MPEG player (VLC or Nero Showtime in my case), or NLE (Vegas in my case), using either DVI or component output of the graphics card on the same monitor.

I can tell you the difference is astonishing - even if I configure the card and the software to do no tricks to my video (in terms of deinterlacing, colours etc.).
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #13
Major Player

Back to Blu-ray: on the Mac side, for a standalone player, my understanding is that the only option is Encore for authoring. Correct?
Rob Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds