Strange Monitoring Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Strange Monitoring Issue

I apologize because I just asked this question in another topic's post, but I thought it might get lost in there.
Has anybody seen this?:
I plugged the EX-1 via component out into a 52" Sony LCD (a nice expensive one....a 1080p set). All of the 1080p footage I shot looks great. But the 720p footage I shot has these faint vertical lines across the entire image. When I first got the EX I saw the exact opposite problem at my home when I plugged it in to a Panasonic plasma set (720p rated). Their the 720p stuff looked fine but the 1080 stuff had these faint vertical lines across it. The footage all looks fine in FCP, but I want to know if there is something wrong with my camera or if it is a known issue with the EX-1 (or if there is something I am setting wrong). It is clearly some sort of scaling issue.

Thanks,
BE
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Major Player

I have seen something similar when hooking up my EX1 with my Sony Bravia 720p television through component. No problems when hooking it up to my 1080p Dell 2405 LCD though.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll try this: without changing the settings of the EX, try it in your Panasonic plasma and in the Sony LCD. If, playing back the same footage, the problem appears in one TV set but not in the other, then definitely it's not a problem of the camera.

For what you say in your post, I think the problem is from the TV sets when up or down sizing the image to fit the set native resolution.

Sad to hear that expensive sets of good brands give such a poor performance... :( By the way, what's the model number of your Sony 52" LCD? I want one of these to use it as the main display in my FCP station, but knowing that... Otherwise, how does it performs?
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #4
Major Player

David, when I get home tomorrow I will check out the footage on my Panasonic, but it seems like it is the tvs. I am surprised more people haven't reported this though, because from the 2 sets (not cheap) that I am reporting about, only displaying its native resolution looks proper. When I first saw this issue I took it to the place I bought it and they hooked it up to their Sony PVM-14L5 and it looked great in 1080 and 720 but that is a nicer set and not "really" HD, I think. Oh, and the model of the Sony is the XBR 5 52". My parents just bought it and it looks very nice. Almost stunningly life like. We were watching The Departed on Bluray last night and it looked almost too real! Very expensive tv though.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds