Interviews with heavy post-processing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Major Player

Interviews with heavy post-processing

We have not had a lot of interviews in the footage thread. Probably because it is more interesting and fun to watch other stuff but I suspect that a lot of us use the camera for interviews.
I have uploaded two clips that might be of interest to some of you.

They are both just tests for a documentary in the making. It is about the strange death of the Swedish Secretary general of the UN. He served from April 1953 until his death in a plane crash in September 1961 under mysterious circumstances.

Anyway - the two men interviewed are both over 90 years old and worked closely with Hammarskjöld. Unfortunately for most of you the interviews are in Swedish.

Now - what might be interesting is that clip no.1 is the 1080P original version using TC2 and cinegamma 4 on some of the material and the rest has been graded in post to match.

It can be downloaded from here: http://kamrat.tv/video/Hammarpilot1080p.wmv

The second clip is the same piece but downconverted to 720p in After Effects. I have also experimented with some zooms and pans in AE using the extra resolution I got from the 1080p material.
Also - I have added a quite heavy darkened and blurred vinjette.
It has all been done quite quickly without much precision so take it for the experiment it is.

The second clip you can download from here: http://kamrat.tv/video/Hammarpilot720Pfix.wmv
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The 720p version looks truly terrific... Congratulations!. Will check the 1080 version now.

Regards
Ruben Torrejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ola,

Great work. Excellent composition. It really held my interest and I couldn't understand a word! So great work visually.

Question, how did you achieve the movement in the pictures where the foreground seems to be moving independently from the background.

Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Major Player

Very nice!

Couldn't download the 720p version but the 1080p looked fantastic!

I would love to learn that camera mapping technique you did with the image at 37 secs (1080p version). How did you do it?
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

1080p version is showing file doesn't exist. I shoot lots of interviews so I'm really interested in this.

720p file showing it doesn't exist either.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Im getting the same message, it doesn't exist.
Danny Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #7
Major Player

Okey - my webbhotell seems to have removed the files. "removed_by_admin_because_of_continued_excessive_load_"

I'll investagate...

/ola
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Major Player

Back on-line

Okey guys - the files are on-line again. Don't know for how long, though. Be easy on my webbserver - okey?
I might be forced to upgrade my subscription to a pro-version that is five times more expensive to be able to share files of this size in the future. We'll see what happens this time.

Jamie and Brad was interested in my "3D-photos".

They are made by taking a still into Photoshop. Cutting out the forground and putting it on one layer, and trying to retouch the original to remove most of the foreground and putting that image onto another layer. You can make more layers if you want.
Once you have two or more layers you bring them into After Effects as 3D objects. Place the background layer behind the foreground and create a camera to "film" the layers. When you move the camera back/forth or sideways you get the nice 3D effect.
It is important to retouch the background so you don't see any remaining bits of the forground in that layer when moving the camera. On the colour photo I did not need to retouch the background at all since the foreground covers the "forground" in the background layer at all times.

I hope you get any of this despite the fact that english is not my native tounge.
The two animations in this sequence were done in about half an hour each and it can be done much better. Like I said - it's all just a test.
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Seems the Admin has already removed them again!

If you go into the "video" folder you can see they were removed with today's date showing.
Old February 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #10
Major Player

Thank you Ola!

I appreciate you taking the time to give us the info.

Both versions are just fantastic. I really needed to see this footage as I am about to embark on a whirlwind tour around the Country (and perhaps overseas) doing some on-camera interviews and I really like the quality of the footage this truly mobile camera can capture!

I love your style. Very easy to sit and watch the whole thing.
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Inner Circle

720p seems to be up.
1080p only seems to be the first 8 seconds. I'd love to see what it looks like pre grade.
720p looks excellent. Good job!
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #12
Major Player

Thank you for all of your kind words. I feel a little uncomfortable recieving praise though because I am not 100% happy with it myself yet. It is still just work in progress and there are things that can be done with more finesse. I'm doing another interview tomorrom that I hope will look better.

Anyway - I have now upgraded to a pro-web-hotell and hopefully the files will stay online once the site is transfered. This can take up to 24 hours so don't be surprised if you have problems downloading clips before thursday evening (CET).
Old February 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
Thank you for all of your kind words. I feel a little uncomfortable recieving praise though because I am not 100% happy with it myself yet. It is still just work in progress and there are things that can be done with more finesse.
Well, that's exactly why it deserves the praise...

even though you feel it's not quite good enough (or could look better)... it just amazes me that it, even at it's state right now, still looks awesome to me!

Good work Ola!
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #14
Major Player

Here are two temporary links that might work until the move has been completed.

http://kamrat.tv/video/Hammarpilot1080pb.wmv for the slightly graded 1080p piece

http://kamrat.tv/video/Hammarpilot720Pfixb.wmv for the version with digital zooms, pans and vinjetting.
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #15
Major Player

WOW. That was amazing, thats all i can really say. If you dont mind me asking what profile was you shooting with? I know its been heavily graded but theres a very organic look to the flesh tones which looks great
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds