Workflow Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Workflow Questions

I'm considering recommending the XDCAM EX to a client that I want to move to an IT workflow. The one thing I don't understand about the XDCAM EX is whether or not it records a lo-res proxy. I searched the Sony brochure for the word "proxy" and it found no instances. Did Sony eliminate the proxy capabilities with the EX? Or is this just an oversight in the brochure?

I'm interested in creating a system where they can create a library of proxy clips on a 2 TB RAID 5 that by my calculations will store 3000 hours. The full-res XDCAM files will be on removable hard drives, either RAID 1 or just simply duplicated.

If the XDCAM EX does record proxies, how does it work? Does it have the same filename as the full res one with a different extension? Also, can proxies be played back with Quicktime player or do you have to use the clip browser?
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM   #2
New Boot

Workflow Questions

Hi Brett,

There are no low res proxy files generated by the EX-1.

Only XDCAM HD camcorders like the 350 and 355 generate proxy files.

Jac
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:22 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Chesson View Post
There are no low res proxy files generated by the EX-1.
But the Sony Clip Browser can creat proxies, right?

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds