Fuzz on the INSIDE of my lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Aaron View Post
I just found shavings inside my lens...very irresponsible of them...

Will Sony pay for shipping? They better...booooo on Sony...
I had the same thing. I took mine in and they ended up replacing the lens which confused me because I thought they would just clean it. I also asked them to adjust a slight vignetting problem so maybe the new lens was to solve that issue. They were pretty aloof about the whole thing. Anyway, inside the new lens I have noticed again a few particles-look like metalic shavings- but they are on the rim of the inner mechanism and aren't in view of lens so I can live with it. My theory is that these particles are actually tiny flakes of the sealant used to seal the lens on, but who knows. Good luck, make them pay for shipping!
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 08:21 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kubalsky View Post
I had the same thing. I took mine in and they ended up replacing the lens which confused me because I thought they would just clean it. I also asked them to adjust a slight vignetting problem so maybe the new lens was to solve that issue. They were pretty aloof about the whole thing. Anyway, inside the new lens I have noticed again a few particles-look like metalic shavings- but they are on the rim of the inner mechanism and aren't in view of lens so I can live with it. My theory is that these particles are actually tiny flakes of the sealant used to seal the lens on, but who knows. Good luck, make them pay for shipping!
yeah I'm going to send it in and have them fix the slight vignette problem on mine, update the firmware to 1.05 since my ND and focus are messed up, and teh shavings front and center on my lens...you think they will fix the flicker (on mine it is almost unbearable...and happens every other shoot)...

Is it just me or is this camera full o' problems...
Chris Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM   #18
Regular Crew

What's flicker? do you mean a strobing effect in 24p? shutter at 1/48 or 1/60 is recommended. I was checking out a HVX in store yesterday, side by side with an Ex, they both have that same slight stutter effect as you pan. Im never sure if I see it cause Im looking or whether its prominent. 30p is much smoother.
I don't know if I could say the EX is plagued with problems because Its actually my first video camera and cant compare. It does feel though like Ive adopted a kid when I was really looking to buy a horse.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:58 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Aaron View Post
Is it just me or is this camera full o' problems...
As I said, I think it's just you. :)

There are a few problems in some units, not uncommon for such a new model (mine is perfect and works flawlessly). But I would still take this camera over any other cameras out there under 12,000. At least it's real HD and doesn't just pretend to be and the performance beats anything under 12,000 and even give bigger cameras like the XDCAMs and DVCPRO HD a run for their money. Specially the low end DVCPRO HD shoulder camera with SD sensors. The EX1 spanks it :)
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds