EX1 & final cut - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #31
Regular Crew

xdcam transfer, macbookpro (intel)

I recently installed the drivers for xdcam transfer, clip browser and the sxs drivers. I currently do not have the fcp 6, but plan to get it. I installed the transfer 1.01, not the current 2.5.1 (since it opens on import in fcp), so I could at least check out the clips in QT on my laptop. When I put the card into the express slot, it appears on the desktop, then I open xdcam transfer, and it finds the card, but then no media shows up in the clip browser. But, I can play those clips and hear the audio in the xdcam clip browser program and with a VLC player. So what is it that I am not doing correctly for the same media not to show up in xdcam transfer. I have downloaded the sxs driver twice, trashing and re-installing, as well as with the xdcam transfer, using the early version, 1.0.1 or whatever came prior to 2.5.1. thanks for your help...

jerry
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Jerry, I think you have your utilities confused.

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/Broadcastan...ownloads.shtml

Card Driver is 1.0
Clip Browser is 1.1
Transfer Tool is 2.5.1

Transfer tool needs the EX codec installed with FCP 6.0.2.
Clip Browser probably can work without out it. I can't tell for sure since FCP 6.0.2 is installed on every system I use.

VLC can play the MP4 files directly.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #33
Regular Crew

xdcam transfer and macbookpro

Craig, I guess what I am confused about, is that the first xdcam transfer software that was out, allowed one to rewrap the clip files into qt without FCP being open. When I downloaded that first version, and inserted the sxs card, xdcam transfer recognized the card, but I only got a grey screen showing where a clip image should be showing. I know there is media on these clips because it plays through the xe1 browser clip software and the VLC player. I have fcp6 ordered and on the way, but was hoping to do some experimenting with camera settings and with the xdcam transfer I could actually look at the clips and see what looks good.
Any ideas why the clip's image doesn't come up, but only a grey space looks like off-line media? thanks...

jerry
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #34
Regular Crew

xdcam transfer and macbookpro

Craig, I should have mentioned, I am operating 10.4.11, and when the grey area appears where a clip image should be, the import button is not "live" so I can not import the clips, thereby rewrapping them. If you use the transfer, one shouldn't have to have fcp open to use it, correct? You can rewrap the clips into a qt format before launching fcp? So I am just trying to get the xdcam transfer working....

jerry
sioux city, iowa
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #35
Inner Circle

The Transfer Software won't show video without the EX codec which is in FCP 6.0.2. It can be used on the desktop without opening FCP.

There's a pref setting so it won't try to open FCP. It says: Open imported files with (choices on my system: Final Cut Pro, Finder, QuickTime Player). Probably best for you to set it to Finder.

There's a pref setting that I allows it to work without the codec.
It says: Import clips with no installed codec. If the appropriate codecs are not installed you will still be able to import but not view or edit the imported movies on this computer.

I believe the software can rewrap to MOV even without FCP 6.0.2 but you won't be able to see the video.

I think the Clip Browser allows you to see the clips without FCP but it only moves the files, not rewrap. The Clip Browser works on Intel Macs but not at all on PPC Macs. On Windows it can rewrap to MXF.

I have FCP on both my PPC and Intel systems so I can't confirm what happens when FCP 6.0.2 is not installed unfortunately.
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #36
Regular Crew

xex1 and final cut pro

Craig, Thank you. That was the missing piece of the puzzle I was trying to figure out. Not being the sharpest pixel in the pack when it comes to software related stuff, I was trying to figure out how a codec in fcp could allow another software, xdcam transfer, to work if it wasn't open. thanks again, so now I will be patient until fcp6 arrives...

jerry
sioux city, iowa
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #37
New Boot

Please tell me EX transfer 2.5 works with PPC macs...

Please...any of you who have PPC macs and FCP 6 and a XDCAM EX...please tell me I don't have to go out and get and intel mac...

The EX codec isn't showing up in FCP...does anyone know where I can get it?

:(
Chris Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #38
Inner Circle

XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1 works just fine on my PPC G5 Dual 2.3GHz Mac. You MUST have FCP 6.0.2 (6 or 6.0.1 do NOT have the EX codec). I've already mentioned it several times in the thread

FCP 6.0.2 NOT FCP 6 or 6.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Aaron View Post
Please tell me EX transfer 2.5 works with PPC macs...

Please...any of you who have PPC macs and FCP 6 and a XDCAM EX...please tell me I don't have to go out and get and intel mac...

The EX codec isn't showing up in FCP...does anyone know where I can get it?

:(
Old March 12th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #39
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1 works just fine on my PPC G5 Dual 2.3GHz Mac. You MUST have FCP 6.0.2 (6 or 6.0.1 do NOT have the EX codec). I've already mentioned it several times in the thread

FCP 6.0.2 NOT FCP 6 or 6.0.1
Yayyy! I got it working...thanks to you Craig:) I thought since the clip browser worked for only intel based macs that transfer 2.5 was the same...Here's to not not having to buy a new computer when I don't have the money...Hip hip hooray!

:D
Chris Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #40
New Boot

Hello,
i'm planing to buy a EX1 soon and i'm wondering if it's possible to edit easily with a powermac G5 2*2,5 (4 Go RAM).
No money to buy the EX1 and a Macpro in the same time.
Thanks
Alain Chaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #41
Inner Circle

See above. Yes G5 will work fine.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #42
Trustee

Hi guys,i have a quick question.
I might have the opportunity of working with another cam operator,who edits with FCP 5,will FCP 5 work with EX1 MXF files ?
I'm a pc user,not mac,so i'm not sure what issue of FCP is the latest,is it 6 ?
If FCP 5 will work,will he need the transfer software aswell ?

Thanks,Paul.
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM   #43
Major Player

For The EX1, FCP works with QuickTimes using the XDCAM codec.

Only the latest version of FCP will work this way - version 6.02.

Transfer software is required, yes.

Regarding MXF files, I don't know if FCP will work with them, nor how to go about converting the EX1 files to MXF on a Mac.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds