watching fcp edit through ex1 cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

watching fcp edit through ex1 cam

being that i dont have the correct monitor setup yet and im dying to see the final render of quick test montages with filters, slomo, etc. is there a way to edit a quick montage in fcp (hd ex1 sequence) export the movie and copy it to the SxS cards, then watch it through the ex1 (via component into my hd TV)
hope this makes sense.
Adam Forgione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

XDCAM can't go back to the SxS.

Does your HDTV have DVI in? If so you can go Computer DVI out to HDTV DVI in. I purchased my HDTV with DVI for just such purpose.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
XDCAM can't go back to the SxS.

Does your HDTV have DVI in? If so you can go Computer DVI out to HDTV DVI in. I purchased my HDTV with DVI for just such purpose.
no i wish it did, it has hdmi so i bought a dvi to hdmi cable but when i play it through my macbook pro to the hd tv, it gets the same weird artifacts that my macbook pro displays when previewing fcp, its just not the same as going through a special hd card i guess. does the dvi to dvi connection solve that problem, if so ill by a cheap small hd tv with dvi today?
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

maybe there is a way to reconvert the fcp movie to the original type mgeg that the ex1 records at? then maybe the SxS card would see it as if the ex1 shot it
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Don't forget the camera creates a file structure too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Forgione View Post
maybe there is a way to reconvert the fcp movie to the original type mgeg that the ex1 records at? then maybe the SxS card would see it as if the ex1 shot it
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Not ideal, but you can create an HDV sequence and go back to SxS via firewire. If on a Mac Pro, the Blackmagic Intensity card is also a relatively cheap way to view on an HDTV. It doesn't support 1080 progressive, but does the pulldown in real time nicely.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Major Player

I've got to hope, by the way, that before too long Sony will update software for a full export to SxS card. This would be SO useful with its HD-SDI out to avoid renting decks and more expensive video cards.
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Regular Crew

okay before i buy it, does this make sense?

macbook pro with a matrox mxo to an hd TV for monitoring. will i get a realistic look at what the blueray dvd (considering the encoding is very good) will look like when the client watches the movie 8 months from now.
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Maybe the best answer would be to buy a Blu-ray player, Adobe Encore for Mac, Blu-ray burner. Seems you're going to need those anyway if you're going to give the client Blu-ray in 8 months.

The only change is that maybe SOMEDAY Apple DVDStudioPro will support Blu-ray authoring. Right now, Adobe Encore is the Mac solution.

Quote:

macbook pro with a matrox mxo to an hd TV for monitoring. will i get a realistic look at what the blueray dvd (considering the encoding is very good) will look like when the client watches the movie 8 months from now.
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Maybe the best answer would be to buy a Blu-ray player, Adobe Encore for Mac, Blu-ray burner. Seems you're going to need those anyway if you're going to give the client Blu-ray in 8 months.

The only change is that maybe SOMEDAY Apple DVDStudioPro will support Blu-ray authoring. Right now, Adobe Encore is the Mac solution.
well i need an proper way to monitor my edit as well, i figured if i could hold out a few months and only spend $1000 as opposed to thousands, i want to. do you know if the matrox will do the job or will i be seeing a completely different result.

example : for sd i use a 20" toshiba $200 TV to monitor SD, i know what the quality of the product will be just be monitoring through that tv.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #11
Major Player

In theory the MXO is perfect for your situation. Before putting my current system together a few months ago I considered the MXO and checked out their support forums--at the time the MXO wasn't supporting the newer Macbook Pros, and there were other issues too. Check it out before you buy.

Which is what I wish I'd done with the Blu-ray end of things. A client wants to show the video looping in HD in his lobby--I figured no problem, get the drive and Encore (let him pay for it), but so far (just over a week) it's not working well. Encore (for the Mac at least, in Leopard) is not stable and won't burn the disc. I've since gone to some forums and seen lots of similar issues.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Regards Encore Mac what people are apparently doing is building in Encore and creating a disk image and burning in Toast.
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:

I've been using the newest gen macbook pro with the matrox mxo for nearly a year now. It's flawless. Just keep up to date with the firmware and you won't have any problems. They now support all formats one way or another. Sometimes it gets confusing, but the forums are helpful and their customer support is awesome. Another piece of advice would be to never update quicktime unless it's supported by the mxo folks or they give the go ahead that it won't break compatibility.
Dustin Carpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Regards Encore Mac what people are apparently doing is building in Encore and creating a disk image and burning in Toast.
I've done this but not having success getting the discs to work in players or ps3.
Rob Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds