Image Advice - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 29th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann View Post
Hhhm, I hoped that the much better lens of the EX1 would show less softness even when stopped down. A good DSLR zoom lens (e.g. Nikon 18-200) does not get that soft at F11 or F16. Can anyone explain?
A better lens won't cure the problem of "diffraction softness", unless better means bigger lens. Diffraction softness is a function of the wavelength of the light and the physical diameter. f/numbers aren't really absolute measurements of aperture diameter. The diameter, at a constant f/number, gets smaller when the sensor format gets smaller. Hence, a 1/2" sensor lens at f/16 has a smaller physical aperture than a 35mm lens at f/16.
(see what you started, Benjamin)
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #17
Major Player

You guys make me a little sad to be honest.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #18
Major Player

Thanks, John Hedgecoe and Bill Ravens, for the link and the explanation.
(And thanks, Benjamin Eckstein, for giving me back my hope that the EX1 might not be that soft at F16.)
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
Holy crap, I did NOT think you guys were going to take me seriously. I guess it is hard to post a cyber joke. I was in the car and laughed out loud when we drove by the Sexpresso (this was my first time to Vegas so I wasn't so used to all the blatant sex stuff). Anyways I grabbed the cam out of my bag in the back seat as we drove through the parking lot and I shot this out of the car.

I am sure the image was crap, but people get so serious here I just wanted to post a funny picture or the "Hottest Coffee in Vegas".

BTW, I am thinking of buying a a franchise for the Boston area. Good idea?
Well you see Benjamin, if you had been a loyal NAB/ Las Vegas attendee like some of us you would have experienced so much sleaze that you would not have thought that cafe unusual. Regarding the pic, I said before it was out of focus but if it was shot at f16 then it is likely aberration. I NEVER shoot the EX1 slower than f5.6 and try to keep to about f4. With the small sensors and a big zoom all cameras in this price range are made to be shoot nearly open. That's why if you get a RED1 you will pay 20K just for a lens.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann View Post
Thanks, John Hedgecoe and Bill Ravens, for the link and the explanation.
(And thanks, Benjamin Eckstein, for giving me back my hope that the EX1 might not be that soft at F16.)
I bet Benjamin started kidding only when he learned what made the picture look soft. There is no motion brur, but diffraction softness at all its glory in it.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I bet Benjamin started kidding only when he learned what made the picture look soft. There is no motion brur, but diffraction softness at all its glory in it.
Hahahaha!

I apologize for trying to impart a little humor with you guys. I am shocked people didn't think the Vin Diesel problem was a real Sony problem, after reading this. Seriously, guys.......seriously!
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #22
Major Player

PS. Piotr. Lots of beer. Send to Boston. Thanks.
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:41 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Benjamin,

I'd love to have some bears with you in Boston, where I spent a week back in 1994 on a Computervision's training. I enjoyed it very much then (lots of beer, too :)

Don't get me wrong; I saw your lovely "Ice and Snow" footage and have no doubts about your abilities. But the point is that even if you intented this thread as a joke from the very beginning, it misfired - because that's exactly what diffraction does to the picture.
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
Here is a frame grab from Las Vegas, where I am visiting for a shoot. Does this image look right? I mean.....seriously......does the EX-1 do this justice?

http://www.dvinfo.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=855&c=2
More importantly, does the coffee do the advertising justice?
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds