PP Off? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Major Player

PP Off?

I notice that in all the many post regarding the Picture Profile settings no one has said much about PP OFF. Today, in very cold early light (8200K) I was out experimenting with the variuos PP's and i found I got the best picture and the most detail with PP OFF?

So just what setting is PP Off and why did it give me good results?

Mike
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Do you use detail=on in your PPs?
Although it uses artificial oversharpening you may have noticed it as "more detail" if you shoot with detail=off in your PPs and compared then with PP=off.

(sorry for my bad English)

regards Dennis
Dennis Schmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Major Player

call me lazy... but only shoot pp off. but full manual for everything else.

I'm really not looking for any more quality.... happy ( for now? )
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM   #4
Major Player

"Off" is a group of settings as well. They are based on STD 3 and include "Auto Knee" On, Matrix On Standard, Detail On "0", etc. Look at the manual under Picture Profiles. You likely could have overlooked it as there is a single line above the section which reads:

The values when "OFF" is selected at "SEL" of the "PICTURE PROFILE" menu are shown in bold face.

I have not tested this at all, as I assumed that Auto Knee (which is desribed as automatically finding the correct knee for the exposure of the shot), would adjust mid-shot if the lighting situation changed (like auto exposure etc).
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Strome View Post
"Off" is a group of settings as well. They are based on STD 3 and include "Auto Knee" On, Matrix On Standard, Detail On "0", etc. Look at the manual under Picture Profiles. You likely could have overlooked it as there is a single line above the section which reads:

The values when "OFF" is selected at "SEL" of the "PICTURE PROFILE" menu are shown in bold face.

I have not tested this at all, as I assumed that Auto Knee (which is desribed as automatically finding the correct knee for the exposure of the shot), would adjust mid-shot if the lighting situation changed (like auto exposure etc).
Ok I see now that PP OFF=everything at default where I had Matrix to HiSat for all the other PPs with everything else at default. I don't see where you get your "based on STD 3" from? Maybe the auto knee works good.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael H. Stevens View Post
I don't see where you get your "based on STD 3" from? Maybe the auto knee works good.
Page 74 top item is Gamma, Bold is STD 3.

Auto exposure settings (knee included) may work well if the scene is consistantly lit, but in variable conditions this will cause exposure fluctuations, quuetionable response times, etc (unless this is a set set and hold function-I do not know).
Randy Strome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds