How are your EX1 > SD-DVDs looking? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM   #31

No brainer...I'd pick the HD cam.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Thanks for your reply.

It is reassuring that even with all of the talked about hoops to jump through to get a clean SD DVD that you would still choose the HD camera.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Hopefully there will be a software-solution showed at the NAB to convert the EX1-HD clips to SD in a good quality. AT IBC when I asked AJA and Adobe about handling EX1 files the first answer I got was "EX-what"? lol Only Mainconcept told me about their Codec.

Think now they all have understand that EX1 will be a big market for them. Still hope to see a good working software-solution for this problem. Maybe ProCoder4 or simililar. Also an update of the Mainconcept pro HD Version would be great. I'll aks them all at NAB again.

I don't like the idea to export with an AJA-Card (sadly I don't have such a card now) to a DVCAM-Camcorder and then to capture it again. That sounds like an expensive and time wasting workflow for me. Really strange that Real-Time Hardware solutions are better than non-realtime software solutions.
Swen Goebbels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Carpio View Post
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...put_young.html

Works pretty well for me. Although the best method would be to use a matrox mxo and downconvert from the raw dvi output to a mini-dv deck and then reimport from the mini-dv and burn to dvd. You could always output to a stand alone dvd burner through the mxo's s-video connection as well.
I have got great results using this method.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #35
Trustee

First serious shoot with EX1, over 1 hour long shot. Went straight from HD to SD mpeg-2 and onto a 16:9 DVD using Vegas 8 Pro with DVDA 4.5. Due to the subject nothing in any frame that'd cause line twitter so I had an easy time of it I guess.
Despite forgetting to switch TC out of Clock the clip stitched back together seemlessly. I only shot 50i SP, all fitted onto my 2x 8GB cards.
Double headed the audio with Edirol R-4. All synced with around a 2 frame error after 1 hour. Dead easy to compensate with Vegas.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #36
Tourist

Would it help to shoot with "detail off"?
Jacob Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #37

I've been doing a fair amount of trials. Indeed, shooting with DETAIL ON, levels "0" will produce a fair amount of twitter/flicker. Once I disable DETAIL, twitter is gone. Recover sharpness in post. Don't fall for the easy trap, ie turning detail on.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #38
Trustee

I ain't getting any twitter or flicker,it's just all smooth,with pans and everything. I'm using your picture profile Bill,detail on.
1080/50i or 720/50p,i render as interlaced,upper field first.Burn with DVD-A.

I've watched on a CRT tv,top of the range Sony from about 5 years ago,and a Sony 40 inch LCD. Picture's good on both.I can't see any difference between 1080 or 720 once it's downconverted to SD. 720 is a lot easier to edit though in vegas.

Paul.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #39

Paul..

I'm shocked..."ain't" ??

Not the Kings English.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #40
Trustee

Oh ok,well one is not getting any twitter or flicker on ones television set. :-)

Ps,we've had a queen now for quite a while,not a king !!!
Ha ha.

Paul.
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #41

hehehehe

Con su permiso
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #42
New Boot

Everyone should look into the Matrox MXO. I've been using it with my Macbook Pro with incredible results. I usually use the MXO to connect to a 1080P monitor for my HQ 24p footage. When I'm done the project I then use a sony dsr11 to lay the video off the mini dv. Basically the MXO does all the heavy conversion via it's hardware. You connect the MXO via s-video the dsr11 and it does a very good downconvert. Then you can re-import the footage and burn the dvd.

The only other method would be to do what real post production houses do. When they can't run the footage through a professional hardware scaler they usually export the time line as uncompressed SD and then do the mpeg conversion in compressor. This method is the second best to hardware however.
Dustin Carpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Carpio View Post
Everyone should look into the Matrox MXO. I've been using it with my Macbook Pro with incredible results. I usually use the MXO to connect to a 1080P monitor for my HQ 24p footage. When I'm done the project I then use a sony dsr11 to lay the video off the mini dv. Basically the MXO does all the heavy conversion via it's hardware. You connect the MXO via s-video the dsr11 and it does a very good downconvert. Then you can re-import the footage and burn the dvd.

The only other method would be to do what real post production houses do. When they can't run the footage through a professional hardware scaler they usually export the time line as uncompressed SD and then do the mpeg conversion in compressor. This method is the second best to hardware however.
This is what I have found out to be the best way - doing a hardware downconversion - but to go thru y/c (s-video) you are losing a lot.
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #44
Inner Circle

I hate to be so cynical but those doing software downconverts, short of presenting some "different" workflow, aren't seeing twitter because they're just not using video that shows the issue.

You will NOT see it on most of your video UNLESS you have THIN HORIZONTAL LINES exacerbated by some type of non horizontal movement.

In my case it's very obvious with barren horizontal tree branches with slow zoom. You will NOT see it on talking heads, shooting pebbles, etc. The same tree branches look fine when the shot is held. My source is 1080p and I keep it progressive on down convert.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #45
Trustee

Craig,i've panned left to right,up and down,slow and fast,past walls,windows and trailers with mesh sides,i ain't getting any twitter or lines or anything,just smoothflowing footage. I've purposely tried to find twitter etc but can only find it if i render wrong. I render main concept mpeg-2 for dvd-a,upper field first,the same is for 720/50p and 1080/50i.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
How are your EX1 > SD-DVDs looking?-vegas.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Kellett; March 8th, 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: more info
Paul Kellett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds