EX out to HDV deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 9th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #1
Major Player

EX out to HDV deck

I am in the process of determining which camera to buy. Either the Z1 OR the new and improved Z7, or EX1. One of many questions, is:

With the EX1 or Z7, can you capture to a HDV deck (in SQ 25) and by pass the Compact Flash? I am talking about laying video down on HDV deck as the action occurs. Example would be a 3 -4 hour uninterrupted event that is not feasible with CF at the existing cost.

Last edited by Bill Rankin; March 9th, 2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: included Z7
Bill Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Major Player

I just discovered the answer.

For those who might be interested. EX1 will output via firewire to a HDV deck (recorder) according to the diagram on page 15 of the brochure.
Old March 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, but keep in mind your footage must be shot in one of the "SP" modes. The EX1 can't convert XDCAM EX 35mbps footage to HDV compatible footage over firewire.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #4
New Boot

So... Just for clarification, are you say that If I shoot all of the footage in sp(HDV) mode on the EX1, I could then hook the camera up via firewire to my
Sony HVR M15U deck and playback/record all aquired to tape in HDV?

This is also and important question for me. I too am considering the purchase of this camera, and the above method seems like a good archive
plan when the EX1 footage has been shot in sp mode.
Al Woodard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, Al. As long as you shoot 1080 60i in SP mode with the EX1.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

downconvert?

1: Can I run a firewire cable to a Canon HV20 and record live HDV from the SP output of the EX1? Can I record downconverted DV?

2: Can I run a firewire cable to a DVCAM deck and record live DVCAM from the SP output of the EX1?

Thanks!
John Markert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Markert View Post
1: Can I run a firewire cable to a Canon HV20 and record live HDV from the SP output of the EX1? Can I record downconverted DV?

2: Can I run a firewire cable to a DVCAM deck and record live DVCAM from the SP output of the EX1?

Thanks!
Can't answer the first one, but the second one is NO. The EX1 will not record in DVCAM. Only 35mbps in HQ and 25mbps in SP
http://watersedgefrisco.com
http://vystrcil.com
Scott Vystrcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

To add to what Scott said, the EX1 will do NO downconversion to an SD format of any kind over firewire. It sure would be nice... maybe Sony could ad that in a future firmware release?
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds