EX Upgrade Results at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX Upgrade Results

I wanted to post my results after sending in my EX for the vignetting correction and some other minor details. When I received the camera back it was sent with a sheet of paper that say's the "Upgrade" was performed.

Some improvements were:
1. the vignetting is now corrected
2. I had issues with the white balance not remaining in the <B> setting whenever I started up the camera. that is now fixed. (http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=110395)
3. the aperture ring would get sticky and jump a couple stops more than needed. the upgrade fixed that.

I Don't see anything else, but I do FEEL that the camera does run smoother. are there any papers on this mysterious EX "upgrade"?
Winston Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Good new Winston!

I'm to dang scared to send in my second camera for vignetting. My first camera came back from CA. not repaired.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Major Player

Any way to check the firmware version, just curious since it was rumored to be coming out very soon. Maybe they upgraded you early??
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Trustee

Jason,
the upgrade is the vignetting repair.

My first camera came back with the same sticker.
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #5
Major Player

I figured it was probably just the same fix...Just hoping for some cool new tricks from Sony on the Firmware Upgrade. I am ordering my Camera by the end of this week...:)
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
I figured it was probably just the same fix...Just hoping for some cool new tricks from Sony on the Firmware Upgrade. I am ordering my Camera by the end of this week...:)
Its a great camera. Best on the market. You'll love it. I have checked the menu settings and cannot find the firmware version...
Winston Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #7
New Boot

Ive got back my cam a few days ago. It was sent in espacially for the backfocus problem. They also repaired the zoom ring which has been loose. They did NOT update the firmware. You will find the firmware version if you go to the hidden service menu. Press and hold the "CANCEL" "SEL/SET" and "MENU" buttons simultaneously.
Florian von Westerholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #8
Trustee

Florian, were they able to fix the back focus problem?
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Major Player

Florian, is there a new firmware available? And how can it be updated by the user?
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Florian, were they able to fix the back focus problem?
Yes, they fixed the backfocus problem with my cam.
My first test has been negative but next day we made another try with a Prof-HD-Monitor using all possibillities (no ND / ND 1 /ND 2) and all was fine. I´m just too busy with other projects so I cant do further tests. For the moment it looks perfect.
Florian von Westerholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann View Post
Florian, is there a new firmware available? And how can it be updated by the user?

They didnt update the firmware. My cam has actually V1.03_0351.
I dont know anything about a new firmware.
For now Im happy and relaxed, in Germany we have two years of warranty. Whatever will be, they wil fix it. Certainly, probably, perhaps :-)))
Florian von Westerholt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds