EX1 SD MPEG2 From a Common Clip: Results at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 13th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 SD MPEG2 From a Common Clip: Results

I would very much be interested to see what everyone else can get with their various platforms and workflows at a similar encoding setting. I've seen a great deal of discussion on this matter and hope that this thread can become a reference point for all EX-1 Users to have a visible reference medium for all the different softwares and settings that can remain for as long as the Prelinger archives allows (if you just register and upload to them).

This is a Vegas Pro 8 2 Pass VBR avg 8Mbps stream from XDCam EX footage Set to Output at Best NTSC DV Widescreen found on the Prelinger Archives

(it says MPEG1 but it's the original file)
SD MPEG2 Direct Clip Link:
http://www.archive.org/download/8mbp..._VBR2p_60i.mpg

SD MPEG2 Page Link:
http://www.archive.org/details/8mbps...scDvWidescreen

(it says MPEG1 but it's the original file)
Source Clip Direct Clip Link:
http://www.archive.org/download/PWM_EX1/a07.mxf.mpg

Source Clip Link to page with several clips:
http://www.archive.org/details/PWM_EX1

Hope you guys find this useful.

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Dave

Excellent idea, but would it not work better by using the original MXF file from the EX1? Then we are starting at the highest possible quality.

Just a suggestion,

Keith
Keith Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Trustee

Keith,
I believe they are the original mxf files. Just remove the mpeg and leave the extension .mxf. Worked fine for me.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Malone View Post
Hi Dave

Excellent idea, but would it not work better by using the original MXF file from the EX1? Then we are starting at the highest possible quality.

Just a suggestion,

Keith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Keith,
I believe they are the original mxf files. Just remove the mpeg and leave the extension .mxf. Worked fine for me.
indeed you are correct, for me I just put it on the timeline and it shows the essence markers etc... so I'm quite sure these are the original files just given a .mpg extension for the sake of the Prelinger Archives.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

This is a great idea. But Mac users can't use the MXF files. Perhaps we could have one single short clip that everyone could use. Someone could shoot it and then copy the entire BPAV folder to their hard drive and then compress it in a .zip. Then each person could unzip and use the Sony transfer tool to import into their NLE?
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Franco View Post
This is a great idea. But Mac users can't use the MXF files. Perhaps we could have one single short clip that everyone could use. Someone could shoot it and then copy the entire BPAV folder to their hard drive and then compress it in a .zip. Then each person could unzip and use the Sony transfer tool to import into their NLE?
That's fine with me, I'm waiting to buy the EX-1 for a bit yet, and so I don't have the ability (at the moment) to do it.

Dave
Old March 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I had really hoped to shoot some tests today, but I got caught up in paperwork and didn't get it done. Hopefully Monday I can post something... but if someone else can ZIP and upload a BPAV folder in the meantime that would be great.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm afraid this only works if people post their results. Anyone care to put up their results to mine, or tell me what is good or bad about mine? :)

Dave
David Hadden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds