SAW gradients at various Gammas - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #31

thanx, Greg.
wow, did I miss your question somewhere, Randy?
I just plugged my EX1 into HDRACK and brought up the SAW gradient. I measure a full range in the gradient, from RGB0 to RGB255, across the gradient. There are "flat spots" of super black and super white at either extreme of the gradient.
Hope this answers your q.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #32
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Strome View Post
Thanks Greg, but you have lost me :)

Are you saying that #1 does not indicate that all values above (in this case 207) are being mapped to a flat value?
I am saying that I don't know where slope #2 came from, but #1 is a 'true' sawtooth wave because of its endpoint being directly above the base.

I originally entered this discussion to explain what 'SAW' meant as it applies to that test gradient, in that it will appear on a scope as a sawtooth wave.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
thanx, Greg.
wow, did I miss your question somewhere, Randy?
I just plugged my EX1 into HDRACK and brought up the SAW gradient. I measure a full range in the gradient, from RGB0 to RGB255, across the gradient. There are "flat spots" of super black and super white at either extreme of the gradient.
Hope this answers your q.
Thanks again guys. I genuinely appreciate your input, although, if I am understanding Greg correctly, it has resulted in two contradictory opinions.

Edit: Or possibly Greg is saying that this sawtooth wave result is based on an input that included an area of gradient followed by an area of straight white-in which case, no disagreement at all.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds