DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   MOVIETUBE JR...NEW 35mm adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117425-movietube-jr-new-35mm-adapter.html)

Dennis Joseph March 20th, 2008 09:35 AM

MOVIETUBE JR...NEW 35mm adapter

http://www.movietube.com/press/MovietubeJR.pdf

Price tag will be about $4,500 I think. Whats your thoughts?

George Kroonder March 20th, 2008 10:22 AM

Why is it ~4x the cost of a Letus Extreme, which looks almost the same, or other competitors like the Brevis35 or Redrock M2?

Am I missing something?

George/

Dennis Joseph March 20th, 2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kroonder (Post 845633)
Why is it ~4x the cost of a Letus Extreme, which looks almost the same, or other competitors like the Brevis35 or Redrock M2?

Am I missing something?

George/

That's what i'm trying to figure out. I think somewhere on the bottom fine print it says that it comes with 1 Czech model. I may be mistaken.

Michael Maier March 20th, 2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kroonder (Post 845633)

Am I missing something?

George/

Probably because it's well engineered, rightly collimated with a back focus that works out of the box for example and made to work without giving you headaches in front of your clients on the set, while all the cheaper adapters have some sort of compromise? The Letus Extreme for example doesn't come with the back focus adjusted from the factory even though they say it does and some people are having a heck of a time trying to adjust it themselves without any success. Professionals will pay a premium for piece of mind and things that actually work.
Also, as it's made in Germany the weak dollar is to blame for the high price in the U.S.

Dennis Joseph March 20th, 2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 845638)
Probably because it's well engineered, rightly collimated with a back focus that works out of the box for example and made to work without giving you headaches in front of your clients on the set, while all the cheaper adapters have some sort of compromise? The Letus Extreme for example doesn't come with the back focus adjusted from the factory even though they say it does and some people are having a heck of a time trying to adjust it themselves without any success. Professionals will pay a premium for piece of mind and things that actually work.
Also, as it's made in Germany the weak dollar is to blame for the high price in the U.S.

If you are correct and this adapter is as flawless as you or they say it is then I would say it is justifiable that they charge more, I dont know about twice as much but you know.... thing is, you have not tried it so how can you make such claims, or did you just go by the brochure and the tech specs?

Michael Maier March 20th, 2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph (Post 845639)
If you are correct and this adapter is as flawless as you or they say it is then I would say it is justifiable that they charge more, I dont know about twice as much but you know.... thing is, you have not tried it so how can you make such claims, or did you just go by the brochure and the tech specs?

Do you know what the word "probably" means? :)

But judging that the Mini35 is very professional and works as it should and the same can be said about the normal movietube, I would say the same would apply to the Jr.

Dennis Joseph March 20th, 2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 845641)
Do you know what the word "probably" means? :)

But judging that the Mini35 is very professional and works as it should and the same can be said about the normal movietube, I would say the same would apply to the Jr.

With or without the "probability" I think 5 grand for an adapter is a tad high.

Dean Harrington March 20th, 2008 05:16 PM

static screen ...

To have achieved a usable static screen is, in my opinion, the grail of the 35mm adaptor designs. It's a bit pricey no doubt but I'd be interested in a sturdy and hassle free adaptor. None on the market at this point can be said to be hassle free.

Sean Donnelly March 20th, 2008 07:54 PM

Movietube does make some great products. I really like their ST model, although it's a bit pricey it does have arri power connectors, and is very well made. I'm interested to see what they do with the JR. $5000 for a quality adapter is pretty reasonable I think, especially one with a static screen. There are many options available, ranging from homemade to $14000 US for the movietube ST so it really depends what your budget is, but in optics you usually do get what you pay for.

Phil Bloom March 20th, 2008 10:21 PM

yeah it's a lot of money. But it's way cheaper than the old model. Let's see what it is like when it comes out...who fast it is, will it have same issues with the EX1 that all the other adaptors have.

We all want a maintenance, non moving adaptor adaptor that loses very little light.

This was announced quite some time ago. Any idea when it actually might come out?

Michael Totten March 20th, 2008 11:45 PM

the deal breaker though is.... NO PL MOUNT.
Damn, I knew it was to good to be true.

Michael Maier March 21st, 2008 05:10 AM

I'm sure if the demand is there they will introduce a PL mount too.

Michael Totten March 21st, 2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 846086)
I'm sure if the demand is there they will introduce a PL mount too.

yeah that's what I was thinking too.
Hey if anyone is listening at Kinomatic / Movietube.

I don't think I'm speaking for myself when I say the demand for a PL MOUNT for the MOVIEtube Jr. is HIGH ! Based on what I know of your company the quality will be top notch on this adapter... and the light loss seems to be as good or better than the others. It's static too ! The specs are measuring up nicely.

If you build it, they will come.

Matt Gottshalk March 21st, 2008 06:34 PM

Its not THAT much better than my Letus Extreme. I'll use the difference to buy quality glass.

Bob Hart March 21st, 2008 06:59 PM

My guess is the distortion artifact is related to CMOS imagers and a rolling shutter effect when a moving groundglass is operating with the camera set to higher shutter speeds.

My second guess is that the Movietube's fixed groundglass should not provoke any additional artifact beyond what the camera does on fast moves, except maybe for a fixed pattern in adverse lighting conditions.