DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Paint peeling off! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117444-paint-peeling-off.html)

Andy Wilkinson March 21st, 2008 02:22 PM

Come on! Paint peeling off a month old lightly used and expensive camera....if your NOT covered by warranty we ALL want to hear about it.

This cannot be right - we all accept these are tools for a job but this is clearly a defective paint job on your particular unit, surely.

Vaughan Wood March 24th, 2008 07:56 PM

I've had this for a month now. Camera delivered in December.

Camera has been used for about 15 weddings and 2 music clip shoots.

Goes straight into it's bag when not being used. Cannot see any way it could have rubbed on anything except my hand where I grab the handle, but the handle is losing its paint right along the join.

Mic. clip starting getting loose about the same time and broke off on Saturday when I put the camera into it's bag.

Had two VX 2000's for 5 years, still look like new!
Have FX 7 and FX 1, still look like new.

Build: disappointing!

Picture Quality: Keeps on blowing me away!

Vaughan

Charles Dasher March 24th, 2008 09:23 PM

My first EX1 did exactly the same thing. I could rub the lettering off without a problem. I had sent it in for vignetting issues and they were not resolved. My dealer got me in touch with the Sony Broadcast rep and I was able to get a replacement. The second camera is much better and the lettering is solid so far. Way better than the first unit.

The return was for the vignetting issues but the newer paint job was a bonus. In my case Sony stood behind the camera and warranty:)

Good luck!

Swen Goebbels March 25th, 2008 09:02 AM

For me this is not the main problem, but what I really can not understand is that a 15$ Logitech Computer Keyboard don't have these problems.... a 7000$ camcorder has this problems.

First I thought "Cine Alta" stands for high quality "Made in Japan". But after all those trouble I think that the consumers camcorders are build/tested better.

My 4 years old PD-170 still looks like new..... my Ex1 not :-(

I'll maybe send it to Sony, but I'll wait until we have learned more about the other problems. Then they can repair everything and the camcorder will be like a dream.

Eric Pascarelli March 25th, 2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swen Goebbels (Post 848084)
For me this is not the main problem, but what I really can not understand is that a 15$ Logitech Computer Keyboard don't have these problems

I am not defending Sony here, because it's ridiculous that the paint should rub off the EX1. And unlike other cameras you actually need the labels on the EX1, there are so many controls.

But the reason that keyboards don't have the same problem is that the lettering is molded through the keys so that it is still visible as they wear away.

Greg Boston March 25th, 2008 09:46 AM

There may have been a batch of cameras that didn't get proper surface prep before painting, allowing it to come off too easy. I say this from a background in semiconductor wafers where a missed clean-up step can cause the next layer to 'de-laminate'. Paint applied to a surface is no different. That's why you always see those warnings on any paint you buy about removing all traces of grease or oils. In many cases, a primer will be required between the base metal and the paint, but not always.

This would be a QC issue and should be covered under warranty. It's important to let the manufacturer know of any issues like this with a new product to determine whether it's an ongoing issue in the mfg. process, or was an anomaly affecting only certain units of the production run.

-gb-

Dennis Joseph March 25th, 2008 11:26 AM

Can somebody atleast post some pictures?

Greg Patch March 25th, 2008 03:17 PM

I just got my camera last week and have only held it a dozen times or so and it seems that the paint on the grip (right about where your thumb would be ) is already coming off. I'm not sure if it's paint or the plastic just has defects..

Steven Thomas April 10th, 2008 03:21 PM

The writing over the back roller controller has almost disappeared.

This is VERY odd for a camera that is ONLY a little over two months old!

Is Sony offering anything for this issue?

At this rate, I will have no markings left on the camera at the end of the year.

Dennis Joseph April 10th, 2008 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 857870)

At this rate, I will have no markings left on the camera at the end of the year.

Can somebody please provide a picture. I have had mine for almost a month and it is in pristine condition. I'm trying to figure out where the problem areas are.

Dave Morrison April 10th, 2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 857870)

This seems to be such a common problem with this camera that I was wondering if that entire backplate could be removed and sprayed with a clear coat of.....what? Lacquer? Enamel? It looks like it is held on with 4 screws.

Alexander Kubalsky April 10th, 2008 11:10 PM

Maybe sony are doing this on purpose so that we all get trained up and know the function of every button by memory. hehe.
If your renting your EX out and need the lettering to stay on I recommend finding a good engraver. They would be able to engrave the lettering a half mill into the palstic and then coat it again with white so that its all flushed.
I bet Sony will have the lettering recessed in like that on the plastic shell of the EX2.

Warren Kawamoto April 11th, 2008 12:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Paint is coming off on both sides, as you can see. I talked to my dealer, Sony is going to order the defective part and replace it as soon as it's available.

Steven Thomas April 11th, 2008 07:39 AM

I have to say, I've never seen this happen to any camera within four months of its release... unreal

Eric Pascarelli April 11th, 2008 07:41 AM

Maybe Sony wants us to know that the camera body is made mainly of metal, not plastic?